the X-Factor

"Oh crap, not Rachel," I thought to myself, seeing someone who I knew, someone who had been mean to me back when I used to live about three hundred miles from here when I was twelve.

That was four years ago.

Let me explain. Rachel, she was not a nice person at all. She was a Regina George type that thought she was the hottest thing in the whole middle school. She wasn't, but she had always picked on those she perceived as weak, belittling everyone around her in order to make herself feel better. She was basically a big bully.

"Please don't see me, please don't see me, please don't-," I muttered to myself.

"Hey, Stephen!" Rachel yelled, in my direction.

"Shit! Fuck!"

I spun around, turning my back to Rachel, who was quickly approaching. I pretended to not hear her and began to walk away at a brisk pace.

I hadn't been called Steven by anyone since I had transitioned from a boy to a girl between the sixth and seventh grade. Well, aside from Rachel, who had refused to accept me as a girl, instead insisting on referring to me as 'Stephen, the sad, confused sissy boy,' every opportunity she got. Which had been several times a day, every day of my seventh-grade year, up until mom moved us far away.

No one outside of the small town I used to live in knows my male past, nor do I want them to know.

I just tried out for X-factor US and made it to the live shows. Several industry professionals have told me their money is on me to win.

"Dude. Steven! Hey man, I know you hear me."

I knew that if she didn't stop she was going to ruin everything for me.

I could tell Rachel was gaining on me and I began to panic.

I knew how bad today and probably my whole future could become if I didn't get away from this monster.

Today was the wrong day to wear 3½ inch platform wedges. I need running shoes.

I tried moving faster but my calves were beginning to burn.

"Remember what I told you I'd do to you if I ever saw you again," Rachel called out.

I could feel my pulse began to race; faster and faster and my body suddenly became very warm. I knew I was having another one of my panic attacks but I also knew I couldn't stop. I had to get away from Rachel.

My mind began to recall all the things Rachel had done to me that had caused mom to pull me out of Sam Houston Middle School four years ago.

Two more steps later, I felt a hand touch my shoulder. My body instantly tensed up, every hair on my body from my neck down stood on end, and I gasped.

Big mistake.

That's when I blacked out and hit the floor.

When I awoke I found myself lying in a hospital bed.

Knowing the seriousness of the threat Rachel had made four years ago, the one she had referenced earlier, my first thought when I woke up and saw I was in the hospital, was that Rachel had actually done what she said she was going to do to me.

I panicked and immediately reached down and placed my hand between my legs.

Finding it was still intact, I breathed a sigh of relief.

Yes, I want it gone so I can completely be a girl, but not like that. I still need it, attached, so a doctor can surgically craft working female parts out of it.