Prom Night

My wife had just finished combing our daughter Madelyn's hair, parting it on her left side, and now I stood back from her, hands on her shoulders.

"You make a handsome, elegant picture," I told her, with all the bravado of a proud father.

My wife, Katlynne, was making the finishing touches on her hair, tucking it under to give it a light androgynous impression.

"She's truly all grown up now," added Katlynne, tears in her eyes.

Indeed she was, and she would be off to Southern Tech in the fall, almost before we knew it.

Madelyn's cheeks turned faintly red. "Aw, Momma, Daddy, don't worry about me, I'll always be your daughter."

Katlynne and Madelyn had done the lion's share of the work dressing up and preparing Madelyn for the Prom. It was all way too much for me, although I did contribute a little, helping here and there, reserving the corsage, and taking Madelyn to pick out and be fitted for a tuxedo.

Katlynne had both feared and anticipated this time, a milestone in the life of her precious baby daughter. She would have much preferred to be dressing Madelyn in a beautiful gown, one much like the one she had worn when I escorted her to the prom all those years ago, but it is what it is. A tux is what Madelyn had insisted on.

Meanwhile, I'd also noticed that our son Leo, a sophomore and two and a half years younger than Madelyn, was also quickly maturing, yet not exhibiting much of an interest in girls.

"If he's happy with whomever he chooses," I'd told Katlynne once. "You'll be happy for him, right? I'm sure I will, or at least I hope I can," I'd added as a soft afterthought, mostly to myself.

Nevertheless, we were both taken by surprise when Madelyn announced that she would attend the Senior Prom in the traditional man's role. Forever the girly-girl, obsessed with hair, makeup, and fashion, this one took us by surprise. Although, now that she's completely dressed and ready to go, even in a man's tux and wearing no makeup, her nails are freshly french-tipped and patent-leather pumps adorn her feet.

I recovered first. When we were alone, I reminded Katlynne that if Madelyn was happy then we were happy. We were going to support her.

We were to meet Madelyn's date at her house, in an hour, for the first time. We would do the traditional photographing and other standard pre-Prom things just as we would've if she was going in a dress, with a guy.

I had also rented a limousine that would be there waiting to take them to the Prom. Hopefully, the standard interrogation by her parents would be limited.

"Well, shall we go now?" I asked aloud to nobody in particular.

"No, not yet. I want to get a few pictures in," answered Katlynne.

So we had to do the photography thing here at home as well. Aware of this evening's events, I'd remained in my work suit.

Katlynne got in a few pictures of Madelyn and me, arms around each other. "You two make a cute couple."

"Ew, Momma." Madelyn pulled away. "That's Daddy," she exclaimed as if her mom had forgotten.

"Oh, I know," said Katie. "Makes it all the more adorable!" She sighed. "Too bad Leo wouldn't be here for this once-in-a-lifetime event."

I agreed. "'Tis indeed a pity." He simply had to be off doing who-knows-what with his pals.

After a few more pictures of Madelyn and her mom, Sherry and I, and Madelyn by herself, Katlynne announced that it was time to go and meet Madelyn's lady friend.