Nine: Real Life

Eloise was in her room, waiting for Axel. She barely had any nails left from how anxious and nervous she was. She didn't want to have to do this, but she knew it was best for both of them. She loved him, just not the way he loved her. She hated to keep stringing him along so she was finally going to do it.

The front door opened and she could hear her mother's mumbling. She let out a long sigh before her door opened. He looked sad already, and it was breaking her heart.

"Can I just say, I haven't seen you in a long time and you look beautiful." He sat on her bed.

"Thank you, Axel." She smiled lightly.

"Well, I'm here." He shrugged.

"I love you, you know I do." She started and he sighed. "But recently I've found myself pushing you away and I couldn't figure out why. And I still have feelings for you, just not the same ones that I used to have. My point is, I don't see you in a romantic way."

"What are you saying?" He asked with confusion.

"I want to break up, I know this is super fucking cheesy, but it really isn't you, it's me. I just don't want to be together and then have us break up because of something small or bigger and end on bad terms. I want to still be friends if you think it's something you can handle." She said with hope.

"Fuck, you want to break up. Okay. I can do that. Um, wow, I am not gonna lie, I'm a little hurt. Or is heartbroken the word? Of course, I still wanna be friends with you Elle, we were best friends before this, I'm sure we can go back to that. I love you, but I have to let you go." He was on the verge of tears.

"Oh, fuck. I'm sorry Axel. I hate to see you this way." She wrapped her arms around him and he cried silently with his arms wrapped tightly around her.

After a couple minutes, he let her go and Elle wiped his pink, freckled cheeks. He tried to smile but it quickly fell. Now she wanted to cry, she was really hurting him. He stood up and rubbed his face with his hands.

"Okay, I'm gonna go home and finish this up. If I don't talk to you for a bit, you'd understand right?" He said to her.

"No, of course, I get it. I love you, Axel, I don't want to ruin us." He was about to cry again but contained himself.

She gave him a tight hug and then got on her tiptoes to give him a final kiss. He held her face as they kissed and tears slipped his eyes again.

"Bye Eloise." He walked out her bedroom.

She threw herself onto her bed and just stared at her ceiling.