Seventy One: Real Life

Joe didn't come until past three in the morning, Smelling like whiskey and cigarettes. The emergency pack he kept in the car only lasted two hours and he had to buy more. He belly flopped onto the couch and groaned, his eyes could barely stay open. He started falling asleep when someone covered him with a blanket. He turned over to see his girlfriend walking away. Joe didn't even try to call after her, he wasn't going to be the first one to break, so he went to sleep.

The next morning he woke up to the sound of eggs frying. He rubbed his eyes and stretched before sitting up. He looked back into the kitchen to see Elouise standing in front of the stove in a pink silky night slip. 'God, why did she have to look like that?' he thought to himself. He went to their shared bedroom and got clothes ready for a shower. He let the water run until it was basically scolding hot and then he got in. He just stood under the water, letting the water hit his stressed body.

Minutes later slender arms wrapped around his naked torso. He pulled them off of him and then turned to face her. She was looking at their feet and he could see her bottom lip trembling. He picked her face up with his hand, she let out a sob and wrapped her arms around him. He held her and waited for her to calm down.

"Can we get out of here so we can actually talk?"