Seventy Four: Real Life

After he got the keys from Charlie he drove to his old apartment. It was sad and empty, exactly how he felt. He dropped the suitcase on the couch and made his way to his bed. He threw himself face down and sniffled. He wiped his eyes, she cheated on him.

They were happy, they were happy! He had never loved anyone the way he loved her, it always felt like he had hit the jackpot. Eloise understood him, understood and soothed away all his worries, understood what he needed and understood his feelings. But she cheated on him and it hurt so bad.

Deep down he knew that she was always capable of finding someone better than him. Whoever it was was probably better looking, confident, and probably funnier. Okay, not funnier, Joe was pretty funny.

He couldn't even cry, he felt so numb, numb to it all. He turned on his back and looked at the ceiling. Coming straight to the apartment was a great idea, Eloise had never been there so there was no trace of her, which meant he couldn't miss her.

His phone went off with a Twitter alert and there was her face, guess it wasn't so easy. Why did she do it? Did she not love him anymore? Was he not satisfying her? He would do absolutely anything for her, why didn't she just ask? She was an angel, he couldn't blame whatever loser was for falling for her, she was irresistible.

He was always had the worst of luck, of course, they were filming together the next day. Frankie and Steve make out at the Harrington's pool. Was he going to be able to kiss her after what she admitted today? Yes, he could, he wasn't going to let his broken heart get in the way of his work.

...

He walked onto the set the next day with sunglasses covering his puffy eyes and hoping he didn't smell like the six cigarettes he'd already smoked that morning. He politely smiled at everyone and made his way to the makeup trailer. He made his way to an empty chair but Amy stopped him.

"Sweetheart, they didn't call you?" She asked him. "Eloise called in sick, you won't be filming until Friday."

"Oh, I know," He lied. "I'm waiting for Noah."

"Okay, he should be in soon." She patted his shoulder.

He waited for her to leave the trailer so he could go back to the apartment. She cheated on him so she called out? Hysterical. He parked in his spot and was ready for another round of crying.

Already thinking about Paris and their first 'I love you'. He unlocked the doors and almost jumped out of his skin when he saw Charlie sitting on the couch.

"What the fuck?" Joe closed the door.

"You guys broke up?"

"If you know the answer, why ask?" Joe sighed and put his keys in the bowl by the door.

"I mean I do know, but I don't know why. Candy hasn't talked to me all day, she's been with Elle." Charlie stood up.

"And what exactly makes you think I want to talk about it?" Joe shrugged his jean jacket off.

"Because you should talk about it and not keep your feelings inside?" Charlie crosses his arms over his chest.

"She cheated on me."

Charlie's jaw dropped. "She cheated on you? With who?"

"Don't know, don't care." Joe shrugged and walked to his bedroom.

"Yes, you do. Holy shit, was it Harris?" Charlie covered his mouth.

"What?" Joe asked confused.

"I think it's Harris," Charlie nodded his head as he spoke.

"Charlie, don't make accusations like that." Joe sat on his bed and took his shoes off.

"Should I call Candy? Maybe she can confirm it!" Charlie scrambled for his phone.

"If she hasn't answered you all day what makes you think she'll answer now?"

He was already calling her. "Hello? I'm with him right now. He seems to be holding it together, I don't know what's gonna happen when I leave though. Has she talked to you at all? She should be, I know, sorry." He glanced at Joe who was already on his phone. "Has she said who? Okay, okay, I love you. See you later."

"Do I want to know?" Joe set his phone down and patted the spot next to him for Charlie.

"It was Harris."

Joe just nodded his head but he wanted to either punch something or roll into a ball and cry. Harris, she slept with Harris? He was their friend, he was Joe's friend and he slept with his girlfriend. The betrayal he felt was now doubled and so was the heartbreak.

Joe accidentally let out a sob which surprised Charlie. Joe just started to cry and cry, covering his face with his hands. Charlie rubbed his back.

"I'm sorry mate, I really am." Charlie sighed.

"Why would she do that to me?" He wiped his eyes with his shirt. "I thought we were in love."

He tried to catch his breath but the tears and sobs kept coming. Why did it hurt so much? Who was he kidding? Of course, he knew why, she was perfect. He couldn't have imagined a more perfect woman, Eloise was so funny, so kind and sincere, intelligent and interesting. The two completed each other and now he was alone again.

When the tears stopped, Charlie gave him a deep, long hug. Joe sniffled and hugged him back.

"Thanks, Charlie." Joe sniffled.

"I'll make order us some food, you pick something to watch." Charlie left the room.