The Message

"Skywalker, so glad you could join us," the Jedi Master greeted sarcastically.
"You said you had something for me?" Anakin asked, eager not to let his disdain for Windu show.

At this question, Mace frowned. This was obviously something bad. Just as Anakin was about to inquire further, a man rushed into the room. He removed his hat, revealing the face of Jango Fett, just like every other clone in the army. He wasn't dressed in the standard white armour which clones were accustomed to however; instead, he wore a rather scruffy tunic, black trousers, a cheap-looking helmet and a small satchel on his shoulder. Anakin deduced that he must be a private, not yet worthy of the rank of trooper. He quickly had his suspicions confirmed.

"Sir!" he announced, puffing and panting for breath, "I've got it," he said, before reaching into his satchel and pulling out a small data card.
"Good work private," Mace said, taking the data card, "Now leave us," he ordered bluntly.

The private said nothing, he just bowed his head low and did as he was told. Mace then turned and looked at Anakin.

"We received this message from an unknown source," he explained.
"So? Read it," Anakin retorted, almost baffled at the plainness of the situation.
"There's more to it than that," Mace replied, "Look," he handed Anakin the data card.

Anakin studied the card for a moment, before noticing an inscription. It was written in Aurebesh, and translated as:
For the eyes of Anakin Skywalker.

Anakin was puzzled.
"When did you receive this?" he asked.
"Just over an hour ago, I contacted you as soon as I was made aware of the situation," Mace stated coolly.
"If someone wanted to contact me, why not just do it directly rather than leaving a message at the Jedi Temple doorstep?" Anakin thought out loud.
"I sense there is more to this than meets the eye," mused Windu.
"Well," Anakin proclaimed, "They want my attention? They've got it!"

With that, he opened the card, and inserted the enclosed disk into the holotable. Anakin was immediately shocked by what he saw, for there, was Ahsoka. She was kneeling on the ground, then suddenly she started writhing in pain as what looked like an electric charge surged through her body. She fell to the floor, barely able to move. Anakin stared in horror, he couldn't bare to watch, but he knew he had to. Moments later, Ahsoka was joined by two more figures, the first was an IG-100 Magnaguard, and the second was Count Dooku.

"Ahsoka Tano, such a fabulous pupil. Brave, strong, resilient. I'm sure she would have made a fine Jedi Knight someday," Dooku said with sarcasm and eloquence in his voice. "It's a shame that your superiors decided that it wasn't meant to be. How far the Republic has fallen, wouldn't you agree, young Skywalker?" his register suddenly took on a sinister overtone. "If you wish to see your former pupil again, you know exactly what you must do," As he said this, he held his hand out, showing that he was holding what appeared to be a tracking device of some kind. The camera lingered on it for a few moments, before the Magnaguard struck Ahsoka again. Her screams filled the room, and then there was silence, for the recording had ended.

The vacuum left by the end of the message was soon filled by murmuring and chatter throughout the room, as various Republic officers, senators and even Jedi Council members who had been present for the meeting began discussing the situation. The exception to this was Windu, who kept a cool head, letting the Force do the talking. He turned to face Anakin, who had a look of pure hatred in his eyes. He was breathing heavily, with every intake of air sounding pained and anguished.

"That monster!" Anakin growled. "He won't get away with this!" He took the data card and began to rush out of the room in an aggressive manner.
"Skywalker, STOP!!" Windu demanded.
"What do you want?!" Anakin snarled, exasperated at Mace's attempts to stop him.
"I can't allow you to do this." Mace stated firmly.
"What!?" came a hostile reply.
"Ahsoka Tano is no longer a member of the Jedi Order. Therefore, a rescue mission would be of no benefit to the Republic or to the war effort." Mace's authoritative tone suddenly slowed down, becoming more sombre. "I'm afraid, she's now nothing more than a civilian casualty,"
Anakin was appalled.
"But..." he began, before being interrupted.
"That, and this is obviously a trap. Dooku has captured an individual close to you, announced it and provided you with an easy way of finding her. This is clearly an attempt to lure you into a battle that will cause the Republic to lose one of its greatest warriors," Mace explained.

Anakin stared at his superior, his eyes burning with hatred, before bowing his head down and leaving the room.

As he left, Windu frowned, and went into deep thought. He then sensed another presence behind him.

"He's not going to listen to me, is he?" he asked the approaching figure.
"No, leave his former Padawan in danger, he will not," Master Yoda stated confidently.
"So, what do we do?" Mace asked his Jedi comrade.
"Nothing. Skywalker's path this is, follow it, he must. Spare additional resources on this mission, we cannot. If choose to rescue his friend, Skywalker does, he must do so alone,"

Mace nodded in agreement, and Yoda closed his eyes. The ancient Jedi Master concentrated on the living Force, feeling it call to him. There were dark times ahead, darker than any this war had brought, and the Jedi Order would need to be ready.