Old Friends

Five minutes, that was all they had. Five minutes until destruction, five minutes until death. Everything that the two of them had been through, all that they had fought for, suffered for, it had all come down to this. Five minutes.

"We have to get out of here!" Ahsoka yelled.

Anakin activated his wristcom.

"Artoo, where are you? ARTOO!?" he called.

No reply.

"Where is he?" Ahsoka asked.
"I left him with the ship in the hangar," Anakin explained.
"Where's the hangar?" she retorted, with clear agitation in her voice.

Anakin looked at the computer screen that was slowly counting down to their doom, and studied the surveillance cameras. His head dropped down to below his shoulders.

"It's on the other side of the ship," Anakin admitted with a sigh.
"Then let's go!" exclaimed the young Togruta.

Anakin wanted to tell her to wait. He has so many things that he wanted to say to her, so many questions, but after a moment of clarity, he realised that right now there were more important matters at stake. Their own lives were at risk.

Four minutes.

And so, they ran. They ran like they'd never run before, using their immense power in the Force to enhance their physical abilities, and propel themselves down the ship's corridors at speeds faster than the human eye could perceive. They eventually came to a junction, with the choice to go left or right. For a few sort seconds, the two of them closed their eyes simultaneously and concentrated on the Force. Without even saying a word to one another, they opened their eyes at the same moment, looked at each other, and nodded in agreement. They took a hard left, and continued on their way.

Three minutes.

They were close, they could feel it. Suddenly, Anakin heard a noise coming from up ahead. It was faint, but it was just clear enough for Anakin to make out those distinctive bleeps and whistles.

"That's Artoo!" he shouted in delight.
"Where?" asked his former apprentice.
"This way!" Anakin proclaimed, and continued running down the hallway. Ahsoka followed.

After what felt like an eternity, they reached a heavy door. It was locked from the other side. Anakin pressed his ear against it; he could hear Artoo on the other side.

"This is it!" he gasped.
"But how do we get through?" Ahsoka asked.

Anakin rushed over to the control console on the right hand side, certain he'd find a way of opening it, but the circuit was fried. The ship had sustained too much damage.

"No no NO!" Anakin exclaimed.
"Patience Anakin, we'll find a way. We always do," Ahsoka said reassuringly.
"It's not me I'm worried about, it's..."
"What is it master?" Ahsoka said. As soon as she said it, she realised she'd just called him "master", clearly the traumatic events of the last dew days had yet to fully sink in. She was still holding onto a better, happier time.

Anakin let out a heavy sigh, and Ahsoka began to worry that this slip of the tongue had made him feel worse.

Two minutes.

"It's you, Ahsoka. I don't..." he paused, catching his breath, "I don't wanna lose you again,"

Ahsoka smiled, as she looked into her old friend's eyes, she realised just how much she had meant to him. She wanted to say something to make him feel better, but once again, it was as though the galaxy itself was conspiring against them.

Suddenly, without either of them doing anything, the doors began to slide open. For a brief moment, they thought things might be turning in their favour. These hopes were quickly stamped on.

There was the hangar, there was the ship, and there was Artoo. But in between the heroes and their escape route, was one final obstacle, the very same Magnaguards who had tortured Ahsoka mere hours ago. They stood imposingly, electrostaffs at the ready, and slowly moved towards their targets.

What should have instilled fear in their hearts, instead brought a smile to Ahsoka's face. She looked at her old master.

"Just like old times?" she asked playfully.
"You got that right," Anakin replied with a wink.

With that, out came not one, but three lightsabers. Once master and student, now simply friends, united against a common enemy.

The ensuing battle was a sight to behold. Two warriors banded together, two souls intertwined. They moved in perfect synchronisation, with every manoeuvre harmonious and symmetrical. It was the will of the Force that had brought them together, and in this moment, they gave into it fully, letting its flow of energy guide their every action.

Even the IG-100 Magnaguards, with their wide variety of pre-programmed combat sequences, were no match for this power. Every attack was precise and direct, every defence was effortless and controlled.

One minute.

Time was not on their side. The Jedi pressed their offensive, and with one last awe-inspiring display of power, they cut their enemies down.

Thirty seconds.

"Come on, we need to go!" Anakin announced, hurrying towards his ship. Suddenly, he realised something was wrong. He stopped, looked back, and noticed Ahsoka wasn't following him.

"Ahsoka?"
"I'm sorry," she said, with a slight sob to her voice, "but I can't come back with you,"
"Ahsoka, there's no time, we need to go now!"
"I know, but I need to find my own way, goodbye Anakin,"

With that, she ran towards a nearby CIS shuttle. It was in this moment that Anakin realised the reality of the situation. He'd been so caught up in the two of them being back together, he'd forgotten that their days as fellow Jedi were long since over. There she was, leaving him, again.

Ten seconds.

He began boarding his fighter.

Nine.

But what if something went wrong?

Eight.

What if she didn't make it?

Seven.

What if he never saw her again?

Six.

"Artoo, take off!" he ordered.

Five.

He leapt off the fighter.

Four.

He ran towards the same shuttle.

Three.

The door was closing.

Two.

Artoo had left with the starfighter, there was no turning back now.

One.

He used the Force to accelerate himself, he was so close...

Zero.