4 - Welcome Home

Our positive attitude doesn't last long, unfortunately. 

We're approached at the end of our working day by an official (there's loads of them in the ocean just keeping order and making sure that everything is working properly), and asked where Taehyung is to stay. I immediately offer to house him, with my mother, in our little cave, and am shot down instantly.

"You're one of the more rebellious mermen here," the official says stiffly, "so you aren't allowed to house any new individuals. It's better if he stays with someone who will show him the ropes without breaking the rules every five minutes."

Taehyung frowns, looks over at me, as if asking for permission, and I nod slightly, knowing what he's going to say. "With all due respect," he says politely, "Jungkook is the one who got me out of those ropes. He's also my soulmate. Is this society one to break apart people who have been placed together by the sea?"

The official's eyes widen, and he looks over the two of us again, taking in the colours of our tails with a surprised expression. "Jungkook, your tail was grey this morning. Explain," he says shortly, and I look down at it awkwardly.
"Grey peeled off this morning, was gold. I could see his aura. What more do you need?"

"Touch his tail," the official orders Tae, who shakes his head.
"Kookie said that was like sexual assault or something. I don't want to do that," he says nervously, "we only just met, as well."
"Young man, if you don't, I won't let you stay with him."

"Don't threaten him," I snap suddenly, "he hasn't done anything wrong. Is it so bad to want to avoid making someone uncomfortable? Especially since he's new here. And remember, I'm the first person with a golden tail. You don't know what my levels of control are. You don't know how submissive he is. Now isn't the right time to test it. He probably isn't fully recovered from his 'drop'."

The official blinks a few times, looking between us, at the anger in my face, at the slightly more nervous but still determined expression on Tae's face, and gives in. "Fine," he says grudgingly, "I'll file you as soulmates. But that means that your siren duties start in two days. Without a choice. Understand?"

I shudder, the idea hurting my heart, but nod after a few seconds. I don't want anyone taking advantage of Taehyung. With his appearance, his submissiveness, and his unique tail, he could be a target at any moment. I would hate for anyone to have to deal with that, let alone my own soulmate.

If I can protect him, it's my duty to do so. Even if the very thought of siren duty makes me want to throw up.

"What's siren duty?" Taehyung asks innocently, as the official swims away with a scowl on his face, and I shiver again, shaking my head.
"You won't like it, I wouldn't think," I say quietly, "but it's not every day. Once a week, you go to the surface, leaving your post behind, and you sing down the sailors. It's our revenge for being thrown over. You'll find that your throat makes your voice huskier and more painful out of water, but you get used to it, I've heard."

"Oh," he says, sounding a little shocked, and I sigh, nodding in understanding.

"You don't see them drowning, I've heard. If they see you, they'll try and capture you, and you'll lose your second chance the second you get on deck. I've heard stories of mermaids who got on deck and turned to sea foam in mere moments. You don't want that. Their soulmates would force themselves onto deck too, out of agony of losing their chosen partner, sacrificing themselves and giving up on that second chance at life because they can't live without their soulmate. To put it simply, don't get caught."

Tae nods in understanding. "Why does it start in two days, then?"
"You can only start siren duty once you have a soulmate," I say simply, "we go up in groups of pairs. If anyone notices anything out of the ordinary, it's the partner's job to call out and warn them, so that we can dive and hide. The reason mates go together is because it's the only way to ensure that partners care about each other. It's the only way to make sure they properly work together."