10 - Bangtan On Tour

"You want us to explore the ocean with you? So that we, a group of seven teenagers, can learn more about it and its inhabitants, in an attempt to try and improve our society? And you say this will take a couple of years?" Yoongi clarifies, his facial expression unreadable, his arms crossed. The only indication we have of him feeling anything is a raised eyebrow. And that's giving nothing away at all.

"Yeah," I confirm nervously. I know that he's a submissive, his tail gives it away. But his personality is still intimidating.

"Have you considered what would happen if we agreed? What could happen to our families?"

"What could happen to mine as well?" I return simply. "I'm not an idiot. I know the potential consequences. But I have an idea, one that could prevent those. At my post, there's a pretty big gap in the coral, one that's hard to get into and even harder to see. They can hide there the moment anything goes wrong. It's a maze, in honesty, so it's perfect for purpose. There's an escape at one end as well. If it comes to it, Horace can help out."

"Horace?" Hoseok puts in, frowning in confusion.
"The whitetip reef shark that helped Tae out of the ropes on his tail the first day he got into the ocean," I explain quickly. "I've known him since I was given my post. And I was there when his parents were executed in front of our eyes, when he was a few weeks old, for trying to greet a mer couple. They were being friendly. The mer weren't. He's a good character, I promise."

There's a moment of silence, of tension, and an awkward atmosphere begins to build between the seven of us.

"What do you think?" Tae asks, shattering that with the slightly nervous tone of his voice. "Would you join us?"

"I know I would," Jimin says after a few seconds, smiling at us both, in such a way that his eyes almost vanish into his cheeks. "I might actually find my mate. That'd be nice."
"Jiminie, it could be dangerous," Namjoon points out, and the sandy tailed merman shrugs, nodding in agreement.
"I know. But we can't live in fear forever, can we?" His expression becomes sadder, and a sort of misty look passes over his eyes. "And I can't live alone forever either. I don't think I'd be able to handle that."

"I'm up for it," Jin says nervously, and Namjoon's eyes widen in pure shock. He clearly wasn't expecting that kind of reaction from his mate, who's normally the most sensible out of all of us. "It sounds like something that would make life better for all of us."

"Princess, are you sure you know what you're getting yourself into?" Namjoon asks, obviously worried, and Jin nods firmly.
"We can't hide from fate forever, Joonie. I want to see the ocean, too. I want to meet a dolphin, swim with a blue whale. I want to do that with you. We can't do any of that if we stay here our whole lives."

Namjoon nods, gills dilating with indecision before he nods again, having made a choice. "If that's what you want to do, I'll come with you," he says after a few seconds. "I wouldn't want to be away from you for that long. And anyway, I wouldn't be able to see you that happy if I didn't come along too."

Yoongi and Hoseok share a glance, and then turn back to us. "We'll come along too," Hoseok says. "Yoongi just wanted to make sure that you knew what you were doing. That this wasn't some sort of rash choice. We understand why you'd feel like doing it though. And we wholeheartedly agree with you."

"That's good to know," I say ruefully, a sort of nostalgic smile on my face, and they grin in return, immediately understanding my attitude to all of this. Of course it's going to feel weird. This is something that goes against the society I've grown up with over the last ten years. It's going to be a shock to finally properly rebel.

Even though I'm more used to it than they are. I know that. I break the speed limit, I befriend every living thing in the sea, and I'm not afraid to be violent with those who hurt the people I love. I'm different in that sense.