Chapter 33 - Gradual Takeover

Taehyung's POV

It takes us the better part of three days to get through the scrolls, in a way that allows us to make our own little notes and prepare ourselves for the future problems that the laws of our society will press down on us as we try and change it. It's an indication, admittedly not a very exact one though, of how the authorities should react to this whole thing.

Jungkook and Namjoon spend a lot of that time discussing the so called prophecy that my mate saw in the archive room, trying to work out its significance and whether to believe it. The very fact that it's written in a language that we can understand, probably just after it was created in the early 15th century, is telling. It shows exactly how much they apparently knew about us before we even existed.

Is this to be trusted?

The rest of us focus on trying to find some sort of law that will help us to defeat the Central Mer Government in the most peaceful way possible, simply because we don't want to deal with a load of unnecessary violence. We know that people are going to fight against what we want, but there's a difference between that and what we can prevent.

We're determined to get this right, one way or another.

The prophecy itself, however, keeps haunting me. There's something so foreboding about it, something that I can't quite put my finger on. The idea of a 'final deadly duet' sounds almost like we'd die after it, or lose our voices perhaps. It could even be that one of us is forced to live alone in order for the society to change.

I don't think either of us would be able to bear that.

And also, what about that instinct we have to drown sailors? Where did that come from? Can we change it?

As I'm thinking this, maybe seventy hours into our investigation, Jimin glances over at me, his eyes seeming to light up as he reads the thought in my mind and something links to it in his own mind. He snaps his fingers, a grin appearing suddenly on his expression, and we all glance up at him, baffled.

"What?" Sapphire asks, and his smile widens.
"Final deadly duet. Maybe it's not deadly to you," he says simply, "and maybe it's simply the last time that our voices cause deaths of sailors and soldiers alike. Maybe that's what it means. Maybe there's some sort of spell or curse that this duet is supposed to break, and then merpeople aren't instinctually drowning people."

"That does make a lot of sense," Namjoon agrees, "and it makes us all feel a little more positive about everything that's going to happen in the future. If we go by that for now, we might not try to get in the way of what's bound to go down later on, and thus we succeed because we don't think we're sacrificing Taehyung or Jungkook, or both."

"That is a much more preferable scenario, I will agree on that," Yoongi says quietly, and my eyes widen, causing him to glance over at me and shrug. "You two are members of BTS. You're like my family. I might treat you like shit, but I do care about you. And I don't want to lose you."
"None of us do," Hoseok comments, sneaking an arm around his mate's waist gently and then pressing his lips against Yoongi's cheek, causing the elder to blush a little.

The next two weeks are taken up by planning and deliberation, as well as extra meetings with our ARMY, telling them some of the stuff that we've discovered and trying to work out where in Central Government to strike first. At the same time as all of this, our hardworking leader is going over every line of the prophecy Jungkook found, searching determinedly for any loopholes or clues as to how to go about this whole campaign.

We can't mess this up. Or it could literally all be lost, especially for Kookie and I, it seems.

It takes a lot of our energy and time to work out what we're doing, and work out how to go about getting our followers to help without anyone else finding out what's going to happen. The last thing we need is for everything to get out and for us to be stopped before we've even done anything. That would ruin our whole campaign.