26 - Ownership

"You want to what?"

"You heard me, Tae."

"I thought you literally just said you weren't ready?"

"That was before I thought about it again. I don't want anyone to have power over you. It's just not right," I explain, gills dilating in place of a sigh of irritation. "I don't know. I won't force you, I promise. It was just an idea." I swim away, letting him think it over. He needs a moment to make that decision on his own, I know that much.

We've just got rid of that team of whale murderers, and now we're taking a moment to grab some seaweed from the sea floor and trying to find some sort of cave. We haven't slept in a week. We probably ought to, so Jin is using his little skill to search for one. It's the best way to get some form of rest. And Yoongi especially is fond of the idea.

I'm not even surprised, to be honest.

Brad eventually had to be controlled by Sapphire, and Jimin had to use his insecurities against him in order to persuade him to drop the whole execution thing. Even so, there is a part of me that worries about whether the blue whales that migrate through the city are going to be safe. Whether they were just lucky we were in that part of the sea.

But that's not something we need to think about until next year.

For now, I'm too busy with my concerns about Taehyung, and what will happen to him if anything goes wrong, what will become of us both if he gets claimed by somebody else. I can't help but wonder if he'd prefer that, since they would be a lot less possessive and overprotective over him. I know what my nature is like. And I can't help thinking that he'd want somebody who's got more control over themselves, just because it's safer for him.

Jimin doesn't let me wallow in self pity for long, much to my relief.

"Do you really think he thinks like that?" the sandy tailed merman questions, and I shrug, knowing exactly what he's talking about.
"It's possible. He's my mate, hyung. It's natural for me to want the best for him," I reply simply, "and that might not be someone as dominant as me. He might not want that."

Jimin's eyes flash a sandy yellow for a moment, and he smiles a little, shaking his head. "He thinks it's hot," he informs me after a few seconds. "I don't want to spend much longer in that part of his mind, but trust me, he likes how dominant you are. The gold is apparently attractive on you. Don't worry so much."

I laugh slightly, watching Jimin's face light up as he reads something in Taehyung's mind. "He likes it when you laugh," he tells me, "the feeling he gets, it's incredible. It's like he's watching his child get born or something, the pride and the fondness for that moment is adorable." He sighs, giving me a wry smile. "I honestly think most people dream of having a relationship like that, so count yourself lucky, Jungkook."

I nod in understanding, watching Tae's face for a moment, taking in how positive his expression is. It does make me happy, I'll admit that, to see him like that, and know that I'm part of the reason for it at least sometimes. I never thought I'd get a chance at any of this, and the fact that I managed to have him as my mate makes things even better. He's all I could have asked for and more.

We make eye contact, and Jimin immediately leaves my side, much to my confusion. Taehyung swims over a moment later, slipping his hand into mine instantly. "You okay?" I check, and he smiles shyly, nodding. I see his gills dilate as if he's taking a deep breath, and my bafflement increases.

"Kookie, I've thought over it," he says, and my eyes widen.
"It's only been a few minutes since I spoke to you," I reply, a little surprised, and he giggles, shrugging.
"It wasn't a hard decision to make," he returns simply, squeezing my hand. "I know that I wouldn't want anyone else to do this, and I trust you not to take advantage of your power. You're strong, and you're attractive, and your personality is better than anything I could've wanted in a partner. Why would I want anyone else?"