x. a proposal

billy hargrove leaned up against his car, waiting for max, so they could go home.
"hey." billy heard, causing his blue eyes to glance over towards who had spoken.

wendy carmichael walked over towards him. she was wearing her usual style—a striped shirt with jeans and her white tennis shoes. today, however, she had her hair pulled back into a ponytail.

billy felt butterflies in his stomach when he saw his favorite person in the world walk over towards him.

wendy's held her textbooks close to her chest as she approached billy. he removed the textbooks from her hands, placing them on the roof of his car.

he placed his hands upon her waist, pressing a brief kiss upon her lips. wendy pulled away, looking at him.
"i have to ask you something." she stated.

"what is it?" billy asked, waiting for her to continue.
"so we've been hanging out and things like that, but you haven't asked me to be your girlfriend yet." wendy stated.

billy's eyebrows raised in awe.
"i didn't think that you wanted to be my girlfriend. you call me an asshole every day." he commented.

"well, i do." wendy informed. billy nodded, quickly kissing her cheek.
"then, you're my girlfrie—what the hell?" billy questioned as he looked towards max, whom was invested in a conversation with lucas sinclair.

"what?" wendy asked, turning to see what billy was looking at.
"who is that kid? why is he talking to her?" billy asked, leaning back up against her car.

"lucas? he's harmless." wendy stated, watching max skate over towards the car.
billy looked at max menancingly, why had she been talking to that boy?

"that kid you were talking to, who is he?" billy asked, getting into his car. wendy collected her books off of his car.

"i guess i'll see you tomorrow, billy? hi, max." wendy questioned and greeted.
"hey wendy. he's no one." max said, getting into the car.

wendy sighed and left the two. as she walked towards her car, she realized that billy always shut down around other people. he only showed her the nice side of him—the side that she was slowly falling in love with.

but around other people? he was mean, angry, and sometimes abusive. wendy just secretly hoped that he wouldn't fuze his worlds when he was with her.

she would be heartbroken if he had hurt her like he did the day that he bruised her wrist.

|||

wendy carmichael laid across her bed, flipping through a magazine. she was trying to find a new style for herself, but nothing was appealing to her. wendy heard the doorbell ring, and then she heard the front door open.

"wendy!" she heard her mom call out her name. wendy sighed, dropping the magazine.
wendy left her room, her feet padding down the hallway. she went downstairs, seeing steve harrington standing at her doorstep.

"what do you want?" she asked, folding her arms over her chest. she hadn't talked to steve since he had lied about what billy said to him.

"listen, wen, i'm sorry. its killing me by not having my best friend in my life anymore. please forgive me." steve pleaded. wendy walked towards the front door.

"steve, you purposefully tried to intercept my love life just because you don't like the choices that i make." wendy folded her arms over her chest.

"wendy, please. come on, i can take you out for dinner and we can just hang out—just the two of us." steve proposed. wendy actually liked the idea. she was getting tired of her mother's cooking.

"fine. let me go grab my jacket and my shoes." wendy stated, walking back up the stairs.

wendy grabbed her blue jean jacket with the fur lining, pulling it onto her body. she slipped on her socks and boots.
"are you going out with your dumb boyfriend?" susie asked, leaning against wendy's doorframe.

susie despised billy hargrove. she didn't trust him because of that day in his car. she thought that he would eventually hurt wendy again. susie also hated billy because he took all of her sister's attention. it was almost as if susie didn't exist anymore to wendy. their mother had to start driving susie to school every morning.

"one, billy isn't dumb and two, no, i'm going with steve." wendy responded, pulling her hair back into a ponytail.
"you're talking to steve again?" susie asked.

"yeah. bye, suz." wendy chirped as she left out of her bedroom. she traveled down the stairs and out of her house.

"do i get to pick the restaurant?" wendy asked, getting into steve's car. steve got into the driver's seat and started the engine.

"of course you do, but i have to make one stop first." steve said, looking at his friend.

steve's sentence left wendy confused.
where were they going?