xvi. rip bob

wendy, lucas, steve, max, and dustin all arrived to hawkins lab. wendy saw nancy wheeler and jonathan byers, walking up to them.

"steve?!" both jonathan and nancy questioned.
"nancy?" steve questioned, confused.

"jonathan." dustin commented, seeing will's older brother.
"what are you doing here?" nancy asked, walking towards the bigger group.

"what are you doing here?" steve asked nancy, walking towards her.
"we're looking for mike and will." nancy responded.

"they're not in there, are they?" wendy questioned, looking at nancy and jonathan.
"we're not sure." nancy responded.
"why?" jonathan questioned.

the seven teenagers all heard the sound of the monsters screeching, which was coming from the labratory. all of them looked towards where the sound had came from.

the lights from the lab where flickering on and off, making all of them wonder—what was going on inside of hawkins lab?

|||

everyone was talking over each other, conversations began to overlap. wendy carmichael looked towards the lab, seeing that the lights had turned back on.

"guys! the power's back!" wendy said in unison with nancy wheeler. the two had gained everyone's attention.

everyone's gaze shifted over to the gate to the lab, causing everyone to run over to it. jonathan byers ran inside of the booth, pressing the button to open the gate.

nothing.

everyone looked towards the gate, seeing that it wasn't opening. jonathan pressed the button multiple times, trying to get it to work.

still, nothing.

"let me try." dustin stated, walking into the booth with jonathan.
"hang on—" jonathan mumbled.
"let me try, jonathan!" dustin yelled, slightly pushing jonathan back.

dustin pressed the button numerous times, still nothing.
"son of a bitch! you know what..." dustin exclaimed out of frustration, continuing to press the button.

then finally, the gates opened, causing wendy to look back at dustin.
"hey! i got it! i got it." dustin grinned and chuckled.

"okay, listen, nancy and i are going to go and find will, mike, and my mom. you guys stay here. we'll come back and get you okay?" jonathan spoke, looking at everyone.

wendy and steve nodded, and nancy and jonathan left to get in jonathan's car.

wendy watched as jonathan's car zoomed away, leaving her with steve and the kids.
"well, this has been an interesting night." wendy commented.

steve leaned against the booth, looking at wendy.
"i'm sorry for dragging you into this." steve apologized, looking down at his best friend.

wendy shook her head, giving him a soft smile.
"don't be sorry, harrington. there's no one i'd rather spend dealing with weird lizard alien creatures with." wendy said, holding out her fist.

steve smiled, taking his fist and bumping it with wendy's.

max looked at the two, wondering why they weren't dating if they had ten times the chemistry that wendy had with billy.

the sound of tires screeching caught everyone's attention. jonathan blew his horn, causing everyone to get out of the way.

behind jonathan's car was chief hopper's police station wagon. he knew about this too? wendy thought. chief hopper stopped his vehicle, looking at the teens.

"let's go!" he ordered. steve opened the door, letting the kids go in first, then wendy, and then he got in the passenger seat.

"all right, let's go!" steve yelled, and with that,
jim hopper drove away from hawkins labratory.