xi. three's company

"are you kidding me?! steve, you have nothing to apologize for!" wendy exclaimed as she looked at steve, holding a bouqet of flowers.

"just stay in the car, wendy." steve responded, getting out of his car. wendy sighed, leaning back against the seat. she didn't understand why steve was going out of his way to apologize to nancy when she's the one that called their relationship bullshit.

wendy heard talking, causing her to look out of the window. dustin henderson was in a conversation with steve. dustin snatched the bouqet away and started walking towards steve's car.

"hey, what the hell?! hey!" wendy heard steve yell out.
"nancy isn't home." dustin stated.

"where is she?" steve asked, confused.
"doesn't matter. we have bigger problems than your love life," dustin stated, opening the car door.

"do you still have that bat?" dustin asked.
"bat? what bat?" steve questioned, furrowing his eyebrows.

"the one with the nails?" dustin looked at steve, as if it were obvious.
"why?" steve asked.

wendy sat in the front seat, confused as to what was happening right now.
"i'll explain it on the way." dustin responded.

"now?" steve asked as dustin got into the backseat.
"now!" dustin nodded, closing the door.

"oh hey, wendy!" dustin waved to the big sister of one of his friends.
"hi, dustin." wendy greeted, still very confused as to what was happening.

|||

wendy sat in the car, leaning her head against the window. the radio filled the silence that was in the car.
"y'know steve, when you offered to take me to dinner, i thought that we'd actually go out to dinner and not be chasing dustin's lizard thing." wendy sighed.

"he's not a lizard, okay?" dustin piped in.
"well, i'm sorry, wen. it's kinda hard to do anything when a kid hops into your backseat." steve responded.

"lizards don't grow the way that dart did." dustin muttered under his breath.
"wait a sec, how big?" steve questioned, glancing back at dustin in his rear view mirror.

"first, it was like that. now, he's like this." dustin responded, making gestures with his hands. wendy looked back at dustin, seeing how big the creature was now.

"i swear to god, man, it's just some little lizard, okay?" steve sighed, glancing back at dustin again.

"it's not a lizard!" dustin stated once again.
"how do you know?" wendy looked back at dustin.

"how do i know it's not a lizard?" dustin questioned. wendy nodded.
"how do you know if it's not just a lizard?" steve raised his voice, glancing back at dustin.

"because his face opened up and he ate my cat!" dustin revealed. wendy's eyes widened and she turned back around. she stared at the road and then looked at steve in horror.

steve glanced at wendy, and then back at the road.
"it ate his cat..." wendy whispered, shocked about what they were going to chase down.