Chapter one

12.13.17// first day of my new school.

Today's the day; it came sooner than it should've, though, and judging about me waking up 25 minutes late I'm defiantly not ready for the upcoming school year. I grabbed my worn out a black bag and my sketchbook, which is falling apart, as I hurried out the door.

Flakes of light snow kissed my nose as I stepped out shivering of my front porch. I sighed and watched my cold breath release into the stiff air. I'm exactly like those loner girls who go to a new school in the popular teen dramas everyone watches; dirty converse, sketch book, earbuds in 24/7. I don't mind it, though, at least I fit into a clique even if it is at the bottom of the food chain. At my old school...at my old school it was a mess. That's all I need to say about that. Let's just say bullying was at its finest, mostly by guys. It's my own fault, you know, I was the one picking the fights over stupid shit. I probably inherited it from my older sister, who is also going to my high school but as a senior. The only difference between her and I is that she's the one who finishes them—especially if the fights are supposed to be mine. I love her for that, but she can be a pain in the ass most of the time.

"Move it," Jalen, my older sister, grumbled to me as she shoved me out of her way to her new car. I don't know why she couldn't just drive me herself, that's why she got the car in the first place. My dad doesn't care though, he just said that to Jalen so our mother won't bitch out on him.
I rolled my eyes at her as I walked down the cracked sidewalk as I saw some other kids walk on the other side of the street. They all looked to be Jalen's age. Great, no friends in my grade in the neighborhood, I thought bitterly. We recently moved out of our mothers house so now we're living with our dad, not that I'm complaining. Our mother is really mentally unstable and dealing with severe depression. We're the ones who decided we're moving out, which was the only thing Jalen and I agreed on. I just followed behind a group of older teens so I wouldn't get lost. I was told the school isn't too far, but I get lost easily. Everyone looked like a clone; hoods up, hands stuffed into pockets as they shuffled themselves down the snow covered sidewalk. I fit right in, thank god.

"Are you a new senior? I haven't seen you here before," someone said behind me. I turned around to see a boy with dark blue hair with a light grey flannel. How in hell is this guy not freezing?

"No—I mean yeah I'm new, but I'm a freshman," I say he walked by my side. He seemed to tower over me from him being around 6'3. He gave a small smile showing his blue braces, matching his hair.

"That's too bad, I would've wanted you in my class. Most seniors here don't look half as interesting as you," he said. Interesting? I shuffled awkwardly next to him.

"My sister said to stay away from senior guys, I can sense already you're trouble," I say to him. I stole a glimpse of his green eyes and a light blush spread in my cheeks. I shook my head. No, stay away from boys. They're just going to break your heart.

"Stay away from senior guys? Well you're right about that if you're talking about them trying to date you. I just want to get to know you, or am I just that intimidating?" He challenged humorously. I looked at him and sighed. I'm such an idiot. Why would he like me?
I laughed a bit as we approached the school.

"You need help finding your home room?" he asked. I looked at my class schedule and nodded. Of course I did, the school didn't give me an orientation or anything they just said that I'll find my way around the school.

"Yeah...thanks er...what's your name?" I asked.

"I'm Auggie Jackson but I just go by Finn," he replied.

"Why don't you stick to Auggie?" I asked Finn. He shrugged and stuffed his hands into his pockets.

"Auggie was given to me by my dad and then my mom chose my middle name. I decided to remove that guy from my life and stick to Finn," he explained. That's a weird combination of a name "Auggie Finn Jackson". It's unique, though, and I fully respect that. It's cool how he was so open about it.

"Oh, I guess you're open about it...that's cool if you to stick to your middle name. Anyway, I'm Y/N," I say. I showed him my schedule and a smile appeared on his face.

"How funny, that's one door down from mine. I'll walk you there," he says as we walked through the crowded hallway. The girls here intimidate me already and I know that I won't have very many friends. Jalen, however, will be popular by the end of the day since she looks like every girl here. Jalen doesn't even look a bit related to me, which she takes after our dad. I'm a spitting image of our Mom, I've been told probably as an insult.

"We're here. You going to be okay?" He asked. I looked up at him confused.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I asked. He leaned against the door frame and looked down on me.

"Well, you know. There's going to be senior guys," Finn says in a spooky voice which made it sound like senior guys are the worst thing in man kind. I rolled my eyes jokingly and waved goodbye as he left. I entered the freezing room and was faced with a bunch of teenagers talking obnoxiously and sitting on desks. I noticed the teacher desperately trying to calm the class down until she noticed me. She gave me a sympathetic smile as she glared at the class.

"Quiet! We have a new student. Please make her feel as welcome as you all did," she says. The class snickered.

"Our science class got burned down when we got here on our first day, I don't think that's much of a welcome," a guy says laughing. The teacher ignored him.

"You must be Y/N. I'm Ms.Hiro and I'm glad to have you both in my homeroom and my math class!"she says with a fake smile. I beamed at her quickly before sitting in the only empty seat in the classroom. Everyone suddenly got quiet and turned to look at me.

"...what?" I asked.

"That's Jonathan's ch-," a guy started to say but was cut off by the teacher.

"Enough. Y/N please ignore any comments related to something as irrelevant as..that," Ms.Hiro says with a sweet smile much more approachable than the one she gave me earlier. I looked down at the desk and nodded. I paused as I saw the writings on the desk. There were short comments like 'Wish you were here' and 'Wish I spent time with you, Jon!'
Jonathan, huh? Whoever died it must've been a while ago.
The class was still silent as if I killed the mood.
I sighed and raised my hand awkwardly.

"Yes, Y/N?" Ms.Hiro asked. I cleared my voice.

"Who's Jonathan?" I asked.

"Just a kid who died a few years back," a guy said.

"He wasn't just a 'kid who died'. Jonathan committed suicide because of you assholes," a girl said glaring at the guy.

"Kids here go through way more shit than he ever went through, he was just an attention whore," a girl sighed filing her nails. The teacher didn't even try to get involved in this.

"It was 3 years ago, get over it," the guy said.

"Get over it? We killed him. We all killed Jonathan! We could've been better to him...all of us. Now that the school took down his memorial...it really feels like he's gone," the girl says. Everyone stayed quiet after she said that. We all sat in silence until the loud bell rung through our ears.

I really want to know what happened to this guy.