Chapter two

11.13.17// passing period to hour 2

As I was pushed out the door, almost falling down in the process by hurried students, I walked to where my locker is supposed to be as I pushed by other freshman sprinting to their next class. First day of school and I'm already looking forward to Christmas break. I sighed in relief as I saw Finn leaning against my locker lazily texting on his phone. He saw me and immediately smiled brightly as he stuffed his phone away into his front pocket of his flannel . I pushed back my hair behind my ear and looked up at him with a small smile.

"You don't have any other friends you rather be with?" I asked jokingly. He shrugged.

"Nah, I have friends, but would you hang out with a guy named 'Auggie Finn Jackson'?" He asked with a slight smirk.

"Yeah, since 'Auggie Finn Jackson' is the only friend I have—even if he is a scary senior guy," I laughed. I opened my locker quickly as I read off the messy combination written off of my hand and shoved my books inside. He leaned his arm against the locker making his blue hair fall to the side causing me to look away quickly before I started smiling involuntarily.

"You scared about something? You seem off, but what do I know? I just met you an hour ago," he chuckled. I beamed quickly at him and shook my head.

"Its nothing, I was just told about this guy named Jonathan last hour...you know of him? He died 3 years ago, apparently, from suicide," I say shutting my locker. Finn pursed his lips and shrugged.

"Obviously," he says coldly, "who doesn't know Jonathan? He finally got the attention he wanted now that's he's dead,"
I scoffed at him and turned around to face him.

"What's your problem?" I say. He shook his head and slung his book bag over his shoulder.

"Nothing. Listen, I gotta get to class. I'll see you in a couple hours from now at lunch," Finn says walking away from me quickly. I rolled my eyes as I walked the opposite direction to my next class. I probably looked like a lost puppy now from me walking around mindlessly. I held my schedule tightly and looked around at the classroom numbers trying to find out where I am. The numbers didn't follow a pattern which made things way harder than it should've.

"Lost?" A male voice said behind me scaring me a bit. I turned hesitantly around to see a boy with shoulder length dark brown hair paired with a knitted grey beanie. I gave a small smile.
I nodded and held my books closer to my chest. He seemed off.

"I'm Jonathan," he says smiling, "I haven't seen you here before. Are you new?"
Jonathan? Like the kid who died...

"You sound like that kid who...," I started to say but drifted off.

"The kid who killed himself? Well, from me being right in front of you, I don't think I am what you think," Jonathan says, "also if I were you I'd stay away from that senior guy, Finn, I noticed him talking to you earlier."
I looked at him strangely but he just took my schedule from my awkward hands and led me to my next class. I had to ask him about that later—about Finn I mean. I think I trust Finn enough, but who knows? I had my heart broken by untrustworthy people so I should learn from my mistakes.

"I'm in the same class as this along with all of your other classes," he says, "funny how this plays out."
I noticed his wording of that but just glanced at him before looking away.

"I didn't see you in homeroom," I pointed out. He showed a small smile and shrugged.

"I was there, maybe you missed me," he says walking into the classroom.

11.13.17// lunch

As I walked in with Jonathan, I seemed to smile a bit more than I used to. I talked and laughed which seemed foreign to me, but it came completely natural with him. Turns out his interests were similar to mine and that was a first. He led me to the outside tables and I looked at him oddly.

"It's like 20 degrees out, I'm freezing," I mentioned hugging myself. He laughed and took off his jacket. I looked up at him as he put it over my shoulders.

"You didn't have to," I say quietly. He shrugged again.
I looked at the cafeteria and saw Finn walking around mindlessly. I smiled a bit as he saw me. He walked outside and sat by me.

"Any reason you're out here in 20 degree weather?" He asks as the wind blew towards us causing his blue hair to push back. I looked over to Jonathan but he wasn't there. He was gone.

"I—Jonathan. He was here....," I mumbled to myself.

"Hm?" Finn says, "can you speak louder?" I looked down at the jacket resting on my shoulders.

"Are you sure he's dead...?" I say holding the jacket close to me. Finn glanced at me.

"I'm pretty sure seeing a kid hanging himself means he's dead," Finn says lowering his eyes, "do you have something to tell me?"
I paused. Do I? I don't exactly know...it's just a coincidence that I met a guy named Jonathan.
I sighed and shook my head. I took off the jacket and I saw a bright red cut that reaches from my wrist to my elbow. It seemed to shine bright gold for barely a second. As I just saw it, it started to sting.

"What happened? Y/N?" Finn says holding up my arm. He took out a first aid out of his bag and started rummaging through it as I looked at him with confusion spread over my face.

"You carry that wherever you go?" I joked as he wrapped my arm in a bandage, "we could've easily gone to the nurse."
Finn just kept silent as he let go of my bandaged arm.

"Thank you," I muttered. I looked down at the jacket again. Finn put his arm over my shoulder as we walked back inside.

"Whose jacket is that?" Finn says. I smiled at him.

"Just a friends."