chapter 23//mr. laurens

I wasn't going to lie. I looked pretty damn hot in a miniskirt.

It had taken another week to get the peonies, due to their rareness in February, but Madison came in clutch.

I was currently in the lesbians' room posing in front of their mirror wearing a miniskirt.

"There is no way I'm not getting a picture of this," Maria commented, pulling out her phone to snap a few pictures.

"Like what you see ladies?"

"Not at all," Peggy deadpanned. "But do a few more poses for the camera."

I did as I was instructed, giving her multiple raunchy poses that I wouldn't do in a million years. Skirts change people.

"Laurens will love this," Maria cheered. "He'll nut at the sight."

"He'll do what now?"

"Forget it."

I looked at myself in the mirror one last time, not wanting to forget how beautiful I felt. I snatched the bouquet of flowers from Maria's bed and faced the girls.

"Wish me luck," I sighed.

"Remember, don't let him fuck you!" Peggy instructed. "Keep it strictly formal!"

I rolled my eyes, knowing that it was a crucial piece of direction. 

I strode towards the door, gripping the flowers almost to the point of breaking them. 

You'll do fine Alexander. You've asked him out before, what's different this time?

You have a strike on you, that's what.

My inner monologue did nothing to prepare me, yet I still confidently strutted down the hall, catching a few glances and wolf-whistles. 

//\\

"Just knock, Alexander," I mumbled to myself. 

I hesitantly held my hand up to the door and shakily knocked, waiting for a response. Seconds later, the knob began to move, making me wish I had layered on more deodorant. The door opened to reveal a shocked John Laurens.

I harshly held out the flowers to him.

"Will you forgive me and be my boyfriend again?"

I wish that came out different. It felt more like a demand than a question, and for that, I was sincerely sorry.

A blush spread across his face.

"Honestly b- Alex, I'd love to talk things over, but now isn't really the best time."

"What? Were you jerking off? Because I can help with that," I comfortably said, gliding into the dorm as if it were my own. 

Looking around the room I met the eyes of an unfamiliar man standing near the back wall. 

"Uh, Dad meet Alexander Hamilton. Alex, this is my father, Henry Laurens."

I suddenly became very self-conscious of myself and my cheeks began to burn. Words were failing me and I couldn't even make out a greeting. Henry Laurens seemed to question the skirt and the flowers, and it was only a matter of time before he addressed the issue.

"I understand you're wearing a, erm, skirt. May I ask why? The flowers also raise questions," he asked.

Before I could answer, John began to speak. 

"Before you get mad you should know that Alex is at the top of our law class and is bilingual."

"I am getting mad why exactly?"

John looked even more troubled than before. I longed to comfort him by drowning the man in kisses, but that behavior simply was not appropriate, no matter how much both of us needed it to be.

"You should sit down... Alex and I, well.. you should know that we're... a little more than friends.." John explained. 

We both waited for a string of curses, but no words came from the mouth of Henry Laurens. I had never met the man before today, but his stern glare was not something to mess with.If John had not yet revealed his sexuality until today, who knows what kind of repercussions we both could be dealing with.

"You're a lawyer?"

"Almost," I corrected, "but it's bound to happen sometime."

"Honorable profession. Maybe you could knock some sense into that boyfriend of yours, Alexander. I was going to stay for a tour of the campus, but I see you two have some things to discuss."

He started towards the door, sparing us one last glance before heading off.

John was astounded by his father's actions.

"I'm still alive?"

"Yes!" I cheered, enveloping him in a hug to end all hugs.

"Oh I could just kiss you right now!"

"Please do!"

He smashed our lips together, making my insides explode with giddiness. Once we pulled back he stared at me, eyebrows knitted in confusion.

"We aren't dating, are we?"

"We can be.."

"Alexander Hamilton you are an insensitive, unsympathetic prick and you it's a mystery why you have so few enemies, but holy cow you make me happier than I've ever been. I've waited too damn long to feel this kind of love and I'm not letting you ruin that. We have too many problems to figure out on our own, though.."

"So, it's a no?"

"Of course not, I'd love to be your boyfriend again, but we need to get through our problems."

He was implying the couples' counselling. I knew he was, but I just couldn't go. Too many bad memories were made, and my mind had completely shut those away, thankfully. 

"Dr. Elizabeth Sanders is wonderful, so I've heard and I think she'll really help us."

His tone sounded almost like a beg, and I almost pitied him. It was obvious how much he wanted to save this relationship, and I just couldn't let him down.

"Okay I'll go."

The sounds coming from his throat seemed inhuman, but they were clear cheers of joy. He leaped onto me, toppling us both over. He began to pepper kisses down my neck and soon onto my collar bone.

"Also you look pretty damn sexy in a skirt."

"Tell me about it."

//an: quickie but a goodie
~meghan