protection

what happened? the only thing benny could remember was the flash of purple. an explosion. but he wasn't dead. where was he? it's dark.

benny quietly groaned, lifting only his head to look around, seeing all of his friends also laying down. were they alive? why weren't they in ashes? the explosion was supposed to kill them, wasn't it?

benny's eyes tiredly flickered awake, looking around just to see his girlfriend lying unconscious as well. his body filled with panic. he lifted himself to his hands and knees, crawling over to her swiftly.

he pushed her gently, trying to shake her awake. he mumbled her name a few times, but there was no response.

he couldn't check for a pulse because she was already dead.. undead? he just hoped she'd wake up.

benny coughed into his arm before looking back to his spot, seeing ethan knocked out beside where he was. he crawled over to ethan, shaking him awake more roughly.

"ethan, wake up," benny whispered, trying to nudge him awake.

ethan groaned lightly, blinking awake except his eyes showed clear tiredness. "ow.. benny? what happened?"

"i think.. stern blew the whole town out from vampires. but jesse, sarah and alexis are still here. they aren't ashes – so i think they're alive. i hope," benny whispered, helping ethan sit up.

ethan groaned in pain once more, holding his head. "what? then how are they alive?"

"i'm not sure. i'm still confused but.. i'm glad they're alright. she's alright," benny muttered, his attention tracking back to ethan.

benny stood up, limping on his right leg. he was in irratic pain. he helped ethan up who huffed and looked around.

"let's go back to your house. maybe grandma is alright now. she'll know."

--

benny sat on the couch with alexis laid down beside him, her head placed in his lap while she remained unconscious. "can you tell us what happened?"

ethan sat jesse and sarah sitting up on the other side of the couch, who were also knocked unconscious.

"so, do you know?" benny stressfully questioned his grandma.

evelyn thought for a moment, her face of pure observation before a smile found her lips.

"what? what is it?"

"she protected you," evelyn replied, gesturing her hand towards alexis.

benny's scrunched in confusion.

"she used her power," she began, "that night i told you and ethan your powers, i told her hers secretly. she has shield. and she used it at the most important moment. to protect her friends. plus jesse."

benny's head fell, his hand removing a chunk of hair from her face, whispering, "you.. protected us."

"she did. but it didn't do her good," evelyn admitted sadly, sighing, "i can't imagine how much power it took her. she's drained, unconscious. if she's lucky, she'll wake up soon and be clean. if she's unlucky.."

benny's face flew up in panic, his eyes widening at his grandmother.

"she'll be unconscious for who knkws how long, and.. she'll be hurt. injured inside and out. that power of hers requires a lot. lay her down on the other couch."

"what? can't you try waking her up?" benny pestered, laying her down as covering her up with a blanket.

"if i try anything, it could injure her even more. it's better to let her heal and wake up on her own. no matter how long it takes."