XL.

40. FACETIME

It felt domestic and odd all at once, Minnie thought, to speak to Chris whilst she cooked dinner for herself and the rest of her family in the quiet of her home. It felt entirely natural to do so, and she could fool herself into thinking - for a minute or two - that there relationship was nothing out of the ordinary. Then she considered that they were on FaceTime rather than face-to-face, whilst Chris was waiting in the hair and make up trailer in preparation of a night shoot, and that sense of normality faded somewhat.

Regardless of that, it was nice to actually see Chris's face as they spoke again. It'd been a month already since the last time they'd seen each other, and during that time they'd been struggling a little to find enough time where their schedules aligned to make video calling (or calling at all) worth it, especially once the three hour time difference was factored in.

Chris's head was thrown back, and he had a hand resting on his chest, as he laughed loudly at a quite frankly terrible joke that Minnie had told him. She saved them up - jokes packed with silly humour - that weren't all that funny, because she liked the way that Chris laughed at them no matter how awful the punchlines were. She had Rosie and Teddy to thank for most of her content with the amount of them they picked up at school.

"Your standards for humour are so immature," She teased him, with a roll of her eyes added in for emphasis.

"You love me for it," Chris quipped back without hesitation. 

"In spite of it, perhaps," Minnie's response came soon after. She didn't ponder over his word choice in the slightest, allowing the conversation to continue to flow nicely. Overthinking did no one any good.

"Tell Rosie she should definitely pursue a career in comedy," He offered up.

Minnie practically beamed, thinking about the career aspirations her sister often told her about. "Sorry, but you'll get no luck there. She's going to be an astronaut, seriously, she could talk about space for hours if you let her get going."

"Okay, let me get this straight: Rosie's gonna be an astronaut, Teddy's well on his way to being a professional athlete, Toby's working a pretty fantastic graphic designer already, and you're an actress. Your family is brilliant, you know that?"

Minnie smiled, something small but filled with pride, to herself. "Dad says we all get it from our Mom. I think it's a combination of the both of them, but he's an absolute saint for putting up with us all."

Chris reflected her expression, features softening, "I can't wait to meet your family, honestly." He admitted, and Minnie felt her smile growing at how genuine he sounded.

Minnie clicked her tongue off the top of her mouth, "Gotta pre-warn you, dearest Primrose is pretty much convinced that The First Avengers is a war documentary, and not just a film."

Chris laughed again at that. The sound was loud and bright, and carrying through the speakers of her phone perfectly. "I think she's my favourite Clayton, and I'm not even sorry."

She quirked an eyebrow at him, "Banjo will be disappointed to hear that."

The pair continued with the steady flow of conversation, with natural lulls and variations in topic and tone. It was easy, and the time passed by quickly until the noisy arrival of the rest of Minnie's family which signalled the end of the call.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: lmao do any of the Clayton's go by their real names?? the answer is no. we have Primrose, Theodore, Tobias & Jasmine bc I'm a mess