6

After awhile we made it back to Paris and had to investigate a woman's death. We learned about a woman named Nino De Larroque who was teaching woman to read. I followed them inside the room and glared daggers at the woman as she admired Athos. I watched as he followed her and had us wait for him to return. When he came back I saw he had a smile I didn't like. I walked behind him and heard him tell the others about how he has dinner with Nino. I walked past Athos and felt him stare at me as I walked away. I went home and laid down to rest and get some sleep. The next day I learned that Nino had been arrested. I was called to talk to the Cardinal and he showed me the box that Luca Sestini gave to him. I touched what was inside and then had to leave. The next morning I left my house and went to see the trial. I watched as Athos talked bad about Nino, and then walked away from the others. I listened to them for awhile before walking out of the room.

"Still a fool I see." A voice said from behind me.

"What do you want Milady?" I asked not turning to face her.

"You don't deserve this pain..... he isn't worth it. He can never love you." She said with a smile.

I turned to see that she was gone and I let tears fall from my eyes. I punched a hole in the wall beside me and leaned against it falling to the ground. After awhile I walked into the trial and watched as they carried the Cardinal away. I felt like I couldn't breath and I grasped at my throat. Athos turned to look at me before running over to me and catching me. I was picked up and carried away, I passed out and when I next woke up I was on a bed and sweating. I raised up to see D'artagnan smiling at me.

"How do you feel sis?" He asked softly.

"Tired..... where is Athos?" I asked looking around.

"He went to save Nino De Larroque."

"of course he did." I said leaning against my pillow.

"Are you alright?"

"No.... but I am starting to see clearer." I said as he left.

I grabbed a piece of paper off the table beside my bed and started to write on it. After I was finished I grabbed a bag and packed it with some of my things before loading it onto my horse. I went inside to grab one more thing, but as I went to leave my room I bumped into Athos.

"Where do you think your going?" Athos asked looking down at me.

"Out for a walk." I said as I looked away from him.

"I will accompany you then."

"There is no need for that." I said softly.

I watched as Athos looked at the table beside my bed and walked over to it. He picked up the note and opened it.

"What is this?' He asked turning to face me.

"A letter." I said softly.

"I can see that... why did you write this?" He asked walking up to me.

"I... don't have a answer." I said sadly.

"Dear Athos, I saw the way you looked at her if you care for Nino then be with her. I don't want to hold you back anymore. I am sorry I'm not the woman you want." He read aloud as he threw my letter against the wall.

"One what makes you think I wanted her? Two when did I say you held me back, and three! When did I say I didn't want you?" He asked pressing me against the wall.

"I.... can't give you what those other girls can Athos. I'm only eighteen. I have to lie about being a girl. I'm not the prettiest or the smartest. I have only known you for a few months. What life can you have with me?" I asked looking away from him.

"Age means nothing to me. I don't care that you have to lie about being a girl, you are lying so you can fight for our king. You aren't the prettiest.... your the most so beautiful and no one is as smart as you when it comes to farming, horses, and fighting..... and about that life. I wouldn't have one with out you. You have gave me the greatest life ever." He said leaning down to kiss me.

I wrapped my arms around his neck pulling him closer to me. He ran his fingers through my hair before pulling away to kiss my forehead.

"Nino reminded me of you... that's why I didn't want to allow her to die.... this world needs women like you." He said smiling down at me.

"I love you." I whispered kissing him once more.

I woke up the next morning cuddling up to Athos. I set up and let out a sigh before getting it of bed. I slid to the floor and grabbed the suitcase under my bed. I frowned as I put all my things in it and loaded it on my horse. I kissed Athos face before walking out of the house and jumping on my horse. I felt tears sting my face as I rode away from the love of my life. I rode until I came to a village far away from Paris. I got off my horse and looked for a house. I had saved up money so I could make a new life for myself and.... for the child I carry.