Itachi's confession

edit, Feb 2, 2021: how the hell did you guys choke past this train wreck of a story good lord-

Sarada tossed and turned in her bed, eventually turning to face Boruto's back. They were on separate beds, because no, Karen, this isn't a basic, cringey Wattpad story (except it is until I finish editing it). Without her glasses, the world was blurry, which was why in the hazy moonlight that drifted through the window, Sarada felt almost weightless, and had the sensation of being underwater. Boruto was passed out, snoring beside her, to Sarada's infinite disgust. In all their months of being teammates, and going on out-of-the-village missions, she'd never gotten used to it.

Kakashi had suggested Boruto and Sarada share a room because they were friends, and as there was a bleeding massive amount of people hanging around the dead Uchiha's home base, there was a striking lack of rooms for all of them. Therefore Kakashi, understanding that this was inciting drama, had made this comment out of pure necessity. And yet was still unpleasantly surprised when all four of his companions shook their heads violently.

"No way am I going to subject my own future daughter to that." Sasuke had said. "If Little Dobe is anything like the Bigger Dobe..." His eyes flashed red with warning. 

"Chill out," Boruto laughed. "It's not like I'm going to try anything. I'm not my dad, as I've been trying to establish." 

"Hey! I resent that!" Naruto protested, crossing his arms over his chest angrily. "Little brat!"

Sasuke and Itachi had sent the younger blonde evil glares. "I will personally dismember you and dump your remains in the river with the piranhas if you even dare."

Boruto had gulped in fear, but kept his voice steady, because he was the son of the 7th Hokage, unwilling reincarnate of that one Otsutsuki dude, ferfuckssake, and hell if he was about to be intimidated into an early grave by two emo lords. "Yes sir." 

The glare Itachi sent him was enough to make Boruto rethink his former confidence.

So Sarada, unfortunately, had ended up sharing a room with Boruto, who barely talked to her out of fear. Even though it made MORE SENSE for her to bunk with her mom, but somehow she'd been talked out of that. She'd almost punched her dad when he'd said that. Boruto was her teammate and best friend. They'd been on missions and have obviously had to do this before, but noooo. Stupid past people.

"Sarada?" Sarada was jolted out of her thoughts by a very vulnerable sounding Boruto.

"Hn." She asked, pretending she was almost asleep to avoid a prolonged conversation with her idiotic teammate.

"Do you think we'll ever make it back home? Since I lost the scroll and all?" Boruto asked, turning to look at her, working up the guts to talk to her about his fears. 

Sarada propped herself up on her elbow and looked over at him seriously. "Boruto..." She sighed. "I don't know."

"Sorry, I'm just home-sick, ya know?" Boruto rested his elbow over his eyes, heaving a deep sigh. "Great, I probably sound like a 3 year old."

"No," Sarada smiled a little at him, turning her face up to the ceiling. "I'm home-sick too." It was a little nice to hear the great, all-powerful, ever arrogant Boruto Uzumaki sound scared. As much of a jackass as Boruto was, the kid exuded confidence and self assurance almost all the time. He had power in droves. Little lapses in self confidence were rare. So sue Sarada for taking glee in seeing his wimp side every once in a while.