Waking up

What is this? 

Where am I? 

Izumi had been floating... wet... that was what she remembered. She remembered calling out to Itachi to save her before being killed... She was dead? But why was she breathing? And she was surprisingly dry, for someone who's body had been in liquid for a long time. Izumi didn't know how long she had been in there. She didn't care-- she was dead. She had other things to care about at the moment. Like where she was. 

A memory floated out of her consciousness, like a photograph. Izumi had been floating for only a little while, then, and she was still aware of her surroundings. Vaguely. She still hadn't had the slightest idea of what was happening, like she didn't now. That was probably what triggered the memory. 

"So, Kabuto, who is our subject of attention today, hn?"  That voice... 

"Uchiha Izumi, thirteen years old. Has awakened her Sharingan." The other, Kabuto, replied. 

"Well... Isn't she a pretty little flower. I suppose we could study her... after all, her Sharingan is developing well. And she is still young. There is time."  The creepy, hiss-like voice replied thoughtfully. 

"Hai, Orochimaru-sama." 

"It really is fortunate we were able to get her before she died. The others... not all of them were so lucky." 

"Hai, Orochimaru-sama. Very fortunate indeed." Kabuto replied. "It has been awhile, now. Her body is well preserved." 

"Good, good." The man seemed to be nodding from the way his voice seemed to be shaking. "Do you suppose Sasuke-kun knows this girl, Kabuto?"

"They are from the same clan, Orochimaru-sama, it is very possible. She is the same age as that other one... Itachi, was it?" 

Sasuke-kun? Itachi-kun's little brother? Oh no, not only was Izumi captured, but they had Sasuke-kun too. Poor Itachi... 

"Yes, it was Itachi." Orochimaru's voice grew cold. "The one vessel i could not obtain." 

"He was a genius, that one." Kabuto agreed. "He would've made an excellent vessel. I suppose we have to adjust to our young Sasuke-kun, ne?" 

The creepy one was silent. Then, "I suppose so, Kabuto. Now, I have things to do. Will you take care of little Izumi-chan for me? If this thing with Sasuke-kun doesn't work as planned, I could take her instead, as a backup of the backup." 

That's all well and good, but who's the backup?

"A double backup plan. Smart, Orochimaru-sama." Kabuto replied. 

"I must be to outsmart my enemies. I will show myself out. Excellent work here, Kabuto." The man was gone after that, and Izumi heaved a sigh of relief. 

"Izumi Uchiha..." Kabuto repeated thoughtfully. "Izumi. Izumi. Izumi." Then his voice changed into a new one. It sounded like Itachi-kun, telling her to wake up.

"Izumi, Izumi, Izumi!" The dream faded away and Izumi's eyes opened. She was in a medium sized room, laying on a comfortable bed. There was a black sky outside, and Izumi could just barely make out the moon from her angle, the window-sill was covering a little bit of it. A cheerful girl with bubblegum pink hair was humming, wetting a towel and squeezing the water out from it. When she noticed Izumi's eyes opened, she smiled at her. "Ah, so you're awake. How are you feeling, Izumi-nee-chan?" 

Big sister. It's been forever since she heard that. 

"Where am i?" Her voice was croaky, like she hadn't had a drink in months. She probably hadn't. The strange, pink haired girl smiled wider and handed Izumi a cup of water.