CHAPTER 1

The air stank of stale whisky, nicotine and mingled outer-worldly scents. It was dark enough and just hazy enough for Maggie Sawyer to be alone at the bar nursing a lukewarm sparkling water. She was still on the clock and waiting on a contact to verify a rumour about missing alien minors. She barely heard the murmurs and clinking glass from everyone else because she was drowning. Drowning in her thoughts.

She was a detective. She detects, as she so slyly pointed out to Alex Danvers when they first met on the job. The grin and arrogance on her face masked her nerves when Alex had stared her down.

Alex Danvers. Dressed in all black combat gear, leg holster and holding one of the biggest guns Maggie had ever seen. Alex Danvers staring at her with a blank face but intense eyes, dressed in a pants suit, asserting her jurisdiction. Alex Danvers looking gorgeous and nervous in a skin-fitting blue dress but still commanding power and attention. The woman screamed 'it's complicated. The woman bled 'stay away.' But Maggie detects things. She thrives on mysteries and complications. All she wanted to do was to unravel Alex Danvers piece by piece.

Maggie Sawyer was truly fucked.

Yes, they had agreed to be friends. Maggie had pushed for friendship because she did not want another heartbreak. She did not want to be the new, shiny toy Alex played with until the brilliant woman realized Maggie was really dark, mediocre and worthless. So Maggie convinced herself that they would be better off as friends.

A friend whose long, lean body she wanted to explore. A friend who makes her laugh and feel things she thought was impossible. A friend she could not stop obsessing over.

Those lips. That kiss. I can still feel that kiss.

Plus there was an external factor she could not grasp: Supergirl.

Specifically, Supergirl and Alex Danvers. To the untrained eye they seemed like professional colleagues. To a Detective, there was something more she could not detect. Supergirl was clearly as straight as they came so it could not be that. Past lovers or not, whenever Supergirl was around, Alex was calmer. Softer. Watchful. Protective.

Maggie rubbed her forehead. This woman might be the death of me. I need to stay away from her. In her heart she know she could not. Alex Danvers was already under skin.

I need her under me.

Oh God...

Her phone rang. Thankful for the interruption she answered on the first ring. "Sawyer."

"There's a rouge alien attack downtown, near the L Corp building!" he partner shouted. Maggie was already on her feet and out the door. She shielded her eyes from the afternoon blazing sun as she ran to her unmarked vehicle.

"ETA 3 minutes. Have the team secure the civilians and set up a 2 mile perimeter block. I don't want anyone else getting in there. Any eyes on Supergirl?"

"Nothing yet," her partner replied.

She'll be there soon enough.

"Don't engage the hostile until all the civilians are secured."

"Affirmative."

________________________________________________________________________________

It stood at least eight feet tall with the body of a snake and head of a beetle with two sharp pincer-like projections. It was an odd mix of brown and green with rows of razor sharp teeth.

"What the hell?" Maggie exclaimed staring at the creature. "I've never seen this before! Where's my SWAT team?"

A bone chilling scream from the alien sent the rest of the civilians into hiding. Maggie looked at the nearby buildings where people were hiding and seeking shelter. They were still in harm's way.