Chapter 5

A/N: Triggers - physical abuse, physical torture, mental torture, hate words, no sexual assault but threats. If any of these trigger you, please don't read. This chapter was a bit difficult to complete because of the hurt scenes (I already yelled at my muse). I hope I did it justice. Thanks again for all the reviews, feedback and comments. They make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

They searched everywhere for Alex.

Supergirl took to the skies and circled the city for hours. Always scanning for anything that looked like Alex. She listened attentively for a whisper of her voice or her familiar heartbeat. Nothing.

The others were on the streets. After the alarming phone call from Kara, Maggie and other officers raced out of the station to the cemetery to look for any clues that might lead her to her girlfriend. She called in every favour she had with police officers and aliens alike. A ball panic threatened to overwhelm her but she pushed it down. This was about finding Alex and bringing her home. She had to be a cop, not the girlfriend.

J'onn ordered the DEO agents to interrogate all the aliens in their custody about the creature suspected of abducting Alex. He searched the archives. Winn kept scanning all calls, radio chatter, traffic cams and cell phone cams for any hint of Alex.

Nothing.

Five long hours had passed since Alex was abducted. They were back at the DEO headquarters discussing their next moves. The DEO agents who were on the field updated J'onn but did not have anything useful to add. Most of them stayed for the briefing. Alex was one of them and their field commander. There would be no rest until she was found.

Maggie gripped the white, circular table in front of her because she needed something solid to ground herself. Kara, still in her Supergirl suit, stood with folded arms, hard eyes and a clenched jaw. Winn looked as though he was on the verge of a meltdown.

"Why Alex?" Supergirl asked them again, "out of all the other agents, why her?"

"Opportunity," answered Maggie, "easiest one to snatch? You said the lights went out so Alex could have been closest to the...thing that took her."

"There are other factors that need to be considered," J'onn said grimly, "if we're to assume it was an opportunity to take any DEO agent then that's fine, but it's not just any agent. It's Alex Danvers."

Maggie followed his thoughts. "Federal agents are hard to defeat as is, and the DEO is basically your black-ops special forces for extra-terrestrial lifeforms. So, that makes kidnapping one even harder. If you're going take a risk and abduct one to make a statement, might as well go big right? And the only thing bigger than my girlfriend in the DEO is you, J'onn."

He nodded.

"So they had to be watching her," Supergirl mused, "they had to be watching all of us. Do you think it's possible that alien is working with someone? A human. Someone who can benefit from this."

"Well do we assume this is targeted against the DEO or Supergirl or both?" J'onn asked.

Maggie's phone vibrated in her back pocket but she ignored it. "Hard to say," she replied.

"And you don't know what kind of alien it is? Even though it knew of your family and of Krypton?" J'onn asked Supergirl.

"No. Sorry," she answered.

Winn asked, "What about Cadmus? Lillian Luthor has been off the grid months now. All their bases are quiet. Could this thing be working for Cadmus?"