CHAPTER 2

Kara flew silently through the windows of Alex's apartment holding sandwiches and coffee. She walked towards the dining table when she stopped and frowned. She heard two heartbeats instead of one. She knew her sister's rhythms like the back of her hand. The other one...

She turned around and froze. Crap! Maggie's here! She was in her Supergirl suit. Crap! Crap! In one second, Kara raced into Alex's bedroom and changed. She emerged as Kara Danvers and surveyed the sleeping couple on the couch. Maggie was lying on her back with fingers tangled in Alex's hair. Alex was wrapped around Maggie with her head on Maggie's chest. They both looked so peaceful and content.

Aw! Maggie's here and she spent the night. Grinning, she picked up the dirty dishes and carried them to the sink. Before she could decide if to leave or stay, heart beats and breathing patterns changed. Someone is waking up.

Warmth. That's the first thing Alex knew as her eyes opened. Then softness and Maggie. God, she could lie there forever in her arms and not care about anything else expect the beautiful woman holding her. She breathed in Maggie's scent as though it was her drug. Memories of the night surfaced. Maggie holding her. Maggie caring for her. Maggie touching her. Maggie with her.

Maggie. Maggie. Maggie.

Alex squeezed her eyes shut when she remembered that they were just friends. This is what friends do. Take care of each other. This was not anything special Maggie did for Alex. She did it out of friendship.

Her heart broke again.

Don't cry. Don't feel. Get up.

Slowly, Alex untangled herself and sat up. Her sides were stiff. She registered a presence at the corner of her eye. Kara was in her kitchen leaning against the sink and looking at her with a mischievous grin on her face.

Alex groaned. Kara covered her mouth to stop herself from laughing. Damn super hearing. Gradually Alex walked towards her.

"Good morning sis. Sleep well?" Kara whispered.

"Good morning. Shut up. Give me water," Alex grumbled.

Kara handed her a bottle from the fridge. "I came by to check on you, but you're literally in good hands."

Alex ignored her and drank water.

"How are you feeling?" Kara asked.

"Ribs are stiff but healing. I'll be fine."

Kara nodded. She glanced at the couch. "Anything you want to tell me?"

Alex shook her head. "We're just friends," she said bitterly, "so there's nothing to tell."

"Really? I don't sleep like that with my friends," Kara said.

Alex waved her off.

"Did you all just fall asleep on the couch? Because you're wearing the same clothes I saw you in yesterday," Kara sniffed, "and you smell."

"I do not smell," Alex said vehemently. She paused. "Do I really smell? Oh God I need a shower."

Kara nodded kindly.

"You're not helping ok. I am freaking out! What am I supposed to say when she wakes up?"

"You need to talk to her," Kara whispered, "again. Because that isn't what normal friends do. She likes you Alex. Maybe she's just scared of getting her feelings hurt but she really likes you. So do something about it."

Alex regarded her sister. "Since when are you a relationship expert?" but Kara's attention was elsewhere. Maggie's breathing sounds had changed.

"She's waking up."