CHAPTER 11

Alex spent the next hour in a state of tired restless energy. Her brain buzzed with different ways to apologize to Kara and Maggie for her outburst. She kept picking up her phone, typing out a message, deleting said message and then turning the phone face down on the bed. Sorry was too clichéd. Sorry for acting like an asshole had a nice ring to it but again, too clichéd for her.

She was sorry for hurting them but not completely sorry. In fact she was angry and terrified at the same time. Angry that she got captured, tortured and caused all this unnecessary fear and panic. Angry at the DEO for not finding her sooner. Angry at the kidnappers because they scarred her body. Angry at Supergirl for not having her back during their last mission in the cemetery. Angry at the leader, Kristoff, for trafficking innocent children. Angry at herself for not fighting her way out of captivity. Angry at herself because she was not strong enough to repel the mental invasion the alien had put her through.

All of this confirmed her biggest fear: She was weak. So fucking weak. She did not deserve the Assistant Director role in the DEO anymore. She did not deserve Kara because she failed at protecting her sister. She did not deserve to fight alongside Supergirl. She did not deserve to be with Maggie.

Alex was also terrified of losing Maggie and Kara. They were her sanity. Her life. She picked up her phone again and re-read the message Kara had sent over an hour ago.

You tried pushing me away when we were kids and it never worked. I will always stick to you like annoying little sister glue. Love you. See you later.

Taking a deep breath, Alex typed: Sister night later? And hit send.

Karas response as immediate: Did you get enough space to clear your head?

Alex winced. She deserved that. She started typing a reply when the three dots appeared under Karas name. She waited.

Im sorry. Youve been through a lot. Yes, Ill stay the night so we can talk. Really talk.

Relief flooded Alex. Thank you. Im sorry, Im so sorry. I love you too.

I can do this. I can try for Karas sake.

Before she could talk herself out of it, Alex reached for the call button above her head. A nurse hurried into the room. Is everything alright?

Alex nodded apologetically. If its not too much trouble, can you ask Dr Meredith Grey to come by? I need to talk to her.

Of course, the nurse replied.

Less than five minutes after, Dr Grey walked into the room. I heard you wanted to see me.

Alex exhaled. Now or never.

Yeah, thanks for coming. Can you set up an appointment for me to see the shrink you were talking about earlier?

Dr Grey smiled. She reached down and held Alexs shoulder. How about I let the person talk to you here before youre discharged? That way you can decide if its the right fit.

Her eyes darted around the room. Sure.

Great. Anything else? More pain meds?

Alex shook her head.

Good. I assume one of your people will visit later so Ill put in the request now and have someone from psych come by after lunch. Do you prefer a male or female doctor?

Alex smoothed her hair back. I dont know. She tapped her fingers on the wrinkled, white bedsheets as she chewed her lip.

Dr Meredith Grey deliberated silently before asking, How about I come along with the shrink this afternoon?