III: Robin

"Ouch." I yelp, as a needle pricks me.

My seamstress doesn't even bat an eye, just removed the pin replacing it so it holds the suit snugly to my body but does not pierce my skin. She's an older lady who I've known since birth, so her lack of empathy to causing me pain doesn't offend me in the slightest.

"Move one more time and I'll use your blood to make a doll. That'll make you stay still." Emmeline threatens.

"No need to be threatening." I tell her, rolling my eyes. "James remind me once again why I must attend this years festival in its entirety."

My mother's assistant sighs out.

"You've come of age-"

"I already have my mate." I interrupt him.

"-and the kingdom still views you as available. This bond mustn't be revealed to the public as planned but natural. You are going to meet him for the first time in the public's eye at the memorial for Princess Zion."

"Why there?" I question.

"To have a new beginning where a story ended as your mother puts it."

Of course. Who else but my mother? She always believes that everything happens for a reason and that where something dies another thing should always begin to thrive. Says it's been the order of nature since this world began.

And yet, my heart pangs at the knowledge that I won't be seeing Winston until a week after the harvest festival. It's been a month and a half since I'd last seen him.  I can remember tracing crowned moon birthmark on his bicep with my fingers as he told me he couldn't wait to finally be able to show affection openly towards me outside of castle walls.

As the years have gone by I've grown more and more certain that he's the person I'm meant to spend my days with, which is something I never thought I'd hear myself admit.

Emmeline finishes at last, allowing me to get out of the stuffy room and go out to the gardens.

"Your majesty, we've received a message for you." Alexander, our messenger, greets, handing me a letter.

I take the envelope in my hands, turning it around spotting the sienna wax with a 'W' surrounded by a few finer details imprinted on it. Carefully lifting the wax, I retrieve the card within, opening it.

My dearest Red,

I'm sorry that I can't be with you during your birthday. I'm needed here in Wallein longer than expected.

In my heart, I can feel that my mate is coming of age, and I also feel that that person is you. I'm sad to say I can't be with you when you come of age, but if you could, save a final dance for me.

I love you, and although it's not as great as being their physically, I hope it can grant you the satisfaction of knowing I'm there in spirit.

Forever yours,

Winston

I flip over the envelope and a necklace with a single 'W' covered in roots on it spilled out.

"Could you me put it on?" I ask Alex, turning and lifting my long red hair up so that he could place the chain around my neck.

Transporting my looking glass to my hands I couldn't help but gasp. His initial gleamed in the sunlight, seemingly changing color.

A shit eating grin spread across my face, and I didn't give a single care to how ridiculous I looked. I am utterly obsessed with it.

"Is it from your lover?" Alex questions.