X: Asher

It couldn't have been more than two hours to noon when I got back into the manor, a smile gracing my still bruised lips. Yesterday had been good, amazing. I hadn't allowed the two to go too far past kissing, I wasn't ready to mate, not yet anyway. In the coming month, perhaps. Who knows?

I climbed up the stairs, grunting in surprise when I reached the top and was pressed against the wall. I looked into the frightening eyes of Francis, knowing I was in deep trouble from the fire that laid behind them.

"Where were you?" he questions.

"In town." I manage to stutter out. If I said it too clearly, it'd be too obvious I was lying.

I try to shove past him but he grasps onto my forearm, keeping me from leaving.

"Who?" he questions.

"It was just some simple fun, let it go. You're not my mate, you have no right to me. Let me go."

I don't know where the sudden bout of courage I had came from, but it was soon gone as his eyes were set ablaze and he gripped my arm harder than before as he used some spell to warm his palm. I yelped in surprise, not burning, but feeling incredibly uncomfortable at his touch.

"You listen here. If it wasn't for me, you'd be buried in the back of this manor with your mother and father. I've caught Franklin lingering over you, knife at hand, far too many times in this past year alone. You owe me your life. You could say I'm the worse twin all you want, but I'm open with my desires, I'm upfront, I respect boundaries. If Franklin were the more powerful twin, we'd all be dead. You and my mother aren't as careful as you think."

He let go of my forearm, looking away from me, out of the hallway window.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Franklin is easily distracted. It's the only thing keeping things in order. He—" Loud footsteps sounded through the stairway as someone came down the steps.

Francis looked panicked, the first time I'd seen him as such, and I grunted in surprise as his lips were suddenly against mine, my back pressed against the wall. Yet, there was no real passion, it felt rehearsed, like he was acting for someone.

"Oh." said Franklin, in surprise. "So you've managed to get him. I didn't expect that."

I heard the sound of footsteps going downstairs, seeming to fade in a few seconds.

He pulls away, getting close to my ear and whispering, "I'll explain all I can, but you'll have to do something you truly don't want to do. Please, just play along. If he expects anything—I want to see you get back to those princes."

My breath caught in my throat. But how?

"Cinder, what do we make of this?" I question.

"I'm curious. He knows we're mated to princes, if we go missing, he'll be hanged. We have nothing to lose." the wolf replies.

I nod.

"We need to pretend like we're about to mate and are going to your bedroom. I'll cast a soundproofing spell right after the door slams shut and then I'll explain myself. I swear on my magic."

My eyes widened. A warlock swearing on their magic was serious. If you went back on that, the person who you broke the promise to gained your powers. Francis truly was putting all his cards on the table. I just had to trust him.

I heard steps coming back up and only had a second to decide. If I was doing this, I was doing it on my own terms.

I push him against the wall, slamming my lips to his pulling away, leaving him breathless. I began to kiss down his neck causing him to let out a few moans here and there. I roamed my hands down, forcing him to jump and straddle my waist. The footsteps paused, and I pulled away biting Francis' ear and whispering just loud enough, "Let's take this upstairs."