VI: Robin

My eyes scan across the ball room, watching the servants run around the space getting it ready for tonight. I could hear the sounds of laughter coming from the gardens and thought fondly back to when I was a child and enjoyed the magic shows held there during the afternoon before the ball.

I watch as three thrones, five men on each chair, are brought in and placed at the top of the staircase on the main floor. The one at the center was finally full sized, signifying a milestone in my life. I was now officially an adult in this kingdom, shown by how high the back of the throne went, but I still had ways to go before I could dare sit in the seat where my father and his mother and all those before them have sat.

I clasp the chain on my neck and smile to myself. I'll be mated soon as well. Gods know things with Winston aren't always a walk down the hall, but we've managed to keep ourselves afloat thus far, even if just barely.

Dark thoughts of heated arguments attempted to creep up on me but I shook them away. Today is a joyous day. It is my birthday.

... And my mate is miles away, probably sitting through some war meeting.

I couldn't help but sigh out. Tonight would drain me, I knew that for certain. I'd have a flirtatious image to uphold, but not too flirty, gods forbid, or the council would have my head.

I couldn't let on that I was engaged, otherwise there'd be anarchy. The Crown Prince mating for political ventures rather than love. That's what it would look like. They'd assume I already rejected my mate, and those foxes would probably have some poor bartered soul act like the mate scorned.

I suddenly felt a heavy weight on my shoulders, threatening to crush me, my hands heating up on the railing as I clutched onto it for dear life. A hand slammed down on my shoulder causing me to all but jump and I turn to see my mother looking at me worried.

"Robby are you okay?" she asks.

"Yes, why?" I question.

She points to the banister and I see scorch marks the shape of my hands. I could already feel our head of staff glaring at me, my cheeks flushing in embarrassment.

"Sorry. I got nervous and lost in thought."

She shakes her head at me, taking me out to the gardens to calm down. Steam came off our hands and I struggled to try and get my powers back under control. She sat me down on a stone bench by the Aphrodite fountain, forcing my hands into the water, startling the fish swimming around the fountain.

Mom began to braid my no doubt flaming hair, unbothered, her ice affinity counteracting the heat, and I took deep breaths, inhaling then exhaling for seven counts. This had become somewhat of a ceremony for us both. When I got far too emotional, I lost control, and she'd take me out here to calm me.

In my younger days, I saw these moments as a weakness, but both of my parents reassured me that it was to be expected with someone as powerful as I. My father revealed that he too loses control sometimes, and told me that I'd have a mate strong enough to balance me again.

My brows furrowed as I remembered this. Winston has witnessed me lose control a number of times, but he's never been able to calm me back down again. My mother has tried to teach him, but it never really ends up working out as either of them plan. Shrimp's tried everything and the best breakthrough we've made is him holding my hands and saying reassuring words.

When she finished the braid, I've completely come back to myself, leaving my right hand swirling around in the water, as fish ran past it.

"What had you worked up?" she asks.

"The ball. I'm stressed about how I'm meant to act. I miss my mate, and there will be complete strangers harassing me, desperate for the crown."

"You'll be just fine. If you get too overwhelmed or need a break, I'll have them close off this garden so you can come here and escape, okay?"