XIV: Robin

It's been a few days since my little trick and I stood in our room, debating confessing that I had seen the whole debacle. The fighting, the marking, the almost mating. The two of them knew that I knew something happened but definitely didn't suspect I had given myself front row seats to the action.

See in the moment, I had no regrets. Had I known that the forced marking would unlock some unearthed insecurities in Winston, I would've shut it all down the second it turned sexual. Shrimp refused to confide in me on this, not that I blame him. He's been running off to talk with Harper since he's arrived. Asher, however, seemed to be quite bothered by our mate's constant avoidance of him. He had this ever present frown on his face, and then things would start levitating until he snapped out of it.

Yes, levitate. The first time I witnessed it I was in awe before I cursed Hecate for putting two unstable casters in the same household. I pray for Winston's sake that the two of us are never upset at once. There'd likely be on fire or levitating gold objects everywhere. Well probably more on fire. Asher has a better hold on his subconscious casting, mine was more genetic. It's easy to stop the subconscious stuff, it's rather difficult to stop the on fire hair or hands when you're already distraught.

But back to my desire to admit to my crimes. I thought it would unite the two of them long enough for them to get over this hurdle, but that would further be meddling in their affairs. I just wanted things to calm down for once. Winston will have to leave in two months, they can't still be on bad terms then.

Meanwhile, my mother was pestering me about why we weren't all mates yet. I knew it was abnormal for any royals to wait this long, but it still was rather invasive. Like the only way to reassure her would be to admit to us all being somewhat sexual but that's uncomfortable in itself.

I wished that Pia and Pepper would come back from that boarding school of theirs so I'd have someone to rant about this all to. I groaned aloud when a messenger made purposeful strides me.

"Sir, your father has sent for you," she said.

"What for?"

"You have guests in the main foyer, your majesty."

"Thank you. Send for my mates as well." She gives a curt nod and runs off.

Moments later, I entered the foyer, looking at the three royals at the center of it.

"Sorry to keep you waiting," I said.

The youngest of the three turned around and a smile spread across his face. He looked to his father for approval before leaving his parents side to engulf me in a hug. I frowned at how the tyke was taller than me now.

"Natasha, I don't know what your staff feeds you lot, but it can't be anything natural. William's grown like a weed."

"Maybe you're just short, Robby," said the how deep voiced brat. My frown deepened.

"Jonathan you've kept this one tucked away in Anicia for far too long. The boy I saw three summers ago was a scrawny mess of bones with a voice high enough to shatter glass. Truly this can't be your son? You've gone and switched him out for one of those strapping village boys haven't you?" I teased.

William glared at me as his parents both laughed. They'd come by themselves, curious.

"Just the three of you," I questioned.

"We needed a break from our castle," Natasha explained.

"Didn't even let princy bring a friend?"

"Of course not. The boy is much too reserved, he needs to branch out and be able to make new acquaintances rather than that band of lords he has back in our court."

"Oh, I'm sure one friend wouldn't have hurt. Most of the boys he hung out with three years ago have grown into their positions by now." William had always made friends with us older royals during his visits despite everyone being four to six years his elder. It was never any bother, he kept up nicely for his age, was even able to out drink a few of us if I recall.

"Papa wouldn't even let us bring Noah," William huffed.

I nearly shot the boy a knowing glance, had it not been for the company of his parents. Noah, from what I've heard, was the very straight stable boy his mother was fond of and William had a slight fancy towards when he last visited, not that the prince would ever admit it. Especially not with his father being the way he is. The one time my dad made a joke about William's mate being a boy, King Jonathan was livid and insisted that his son was raised with the morals of their people.

Gods, that poor prince. He seems to fancy girls more so I doubt he's ever been forced to come to terms with his attraction to other males.

"I'm sure you'll be just fine,"

Footsteps approached and I turned on my heel to see my two mates stumbling in. They both changed into something a bit more formal from when I saw them last, and Asher looked a bit nervous. Winston grabbed his hand and gave it a light squeeze and I smiled at the pair. We'd do just fine.

"May I present my mates, Crown Prince Winston of Wallein and Lord Asher of the Natan Feushire Clan."

"Pleased to see you again," Winston greeted.

"Nice to meet you," said Asher.

They both bowed and shook hands with the Anician royals then they flanked my sides.

"I'm King Jonathan, this is my wife Natasha, and our son William."

"Your mates an amalgam," William said. A shocked silence fell over the room. I saw a vase float off it's pedestal in the corner of my eye, and counter spelled it back down.

"Hybrid. I'm a hybrid," Asher corrected.

The boys eyebrows furrowed but he made no remarks about the correction.

"I apologize for his rudeness, Lord Asher. He means nothing by it, doesn't know any better is all."

"Did I say something wrong," the prince frowned.

"In this region, that word has a very bad meaning. It was used in the past to belittle or demean hybrids, back when they were outlawed or kept as 'pets' by the aristocracy," I explained.

William seemed perplexed by this, yet offered Asher an apology and the matter was dropped. I could already tell housing the Anicians would be a marvelous time, note my sarcasm. It appears as if the king has begun to rub off on the prince, which is far from anything good. Quite frankly, the man was a bit of an asshole, and quite shifter elitist might I add.

I would need to curb those character flaws in the bud over William's stay. Last thing I needed to do was deal with King Jonathan II for the duration of my rule.