XVII: Robin

You ever get that sinking feeling that something was off? It hit me amid tea with my mother, but I quickly set it aside when I had another one of my outbursts. It had taken two hours for the flames to subside. These fits were infuriating, because it made me look weak, out of control. However, I had tried the mountain retreat that we had sent Asher on, and while it helped tremendously, they couldn't stop it all.

Unlike Asher, who levitated things when his emotions became too much, making him lose control of his powers, my problem was that there was too much power to begin with. The monks told me I had a surplus, something that would be good if you were a warrior or casting some widespread ritual, but not if you are a Prince, who's duties didn't allow for such tasks.

That feeling of something being wrong returned to me hours later, when I was finally finished with my busy schedule, and having missed dinner went up to my chambers to apologize to my mates. Only, when I entered, they were nowhere to be found. I went around asking guards and servants but the last time either of them were seen was going on a walk that morning.

I cursed under my breath. Had we not just given Asher a lecture about taking guards with him? Now those two baboons are gods know where without a soul knowing their whereabouts. For all I knew they had killed one another by now.

I ran down to the pantry, grabbing supplies for a tracking spell, then returned to my chambers. I drew a few sigils in a circle, placing key ingredients atop of each one, then I put Winston's pendent at the center. I uttered an incantation, watching the pendent begin to glow and I sent a prayer of thankfulness Hermes' way when the spell seemed to work.

I put back on the necklace and let it guide my way. It took me out of the castle, through the gardens, and deep into the woods. These fucking animals couldn't just stay within property lines could they? Surely they realized they were lost, and must've made a deliberate decision to keep going Hades knows where in attempts to find civilization. Had no one taught them to stay still in those scenarios?

I'm going to kick both of their asses, I decided when I entered my third hour of walking seemingly aimlessly. I'll send them both to the infirmary and then get Asher a fucking governess, because this is ridiculous. If you're a caster who doesn't know enough magic to get yourself found, don't go outside of familiar territory in the first place. Winston, I can't really blame too much. He is only a shifter. If you loose a familiar scent you're screwed. He has a good case, a stupid one seeing as he's been here longer than Asher, but a good one none the less.

When I finally found them, they were both in the middle of some clearing, a protection ward around them, in some make shift shelter I have no doubt they collaborated on. They had a fire, there seemed to be deer bones near the hearth, and they were in their new little home snuggled against one another. It would be absolutely adorable had I not spent hours trying to track them down.

I cautiously poked the ward, surprised when it easily let me in. So Asher was competent enough to make a pretty advanced ward, but he couldn't send me a message? Couldn't teleport them both back into the castle?

I walked over to them and felt my anger dissipate. They both looked so at ease, and I had just realized that this is the most comfortable I'd ever seen them together. It looked like they had purposely fallen asleep that way, rather than roll together during the night. Perhaps I didn't need to mame them. They seemed to have bonded in this time. I'm still going to have a fit, but that can wait until morning I suppose.

I put out the fire, and placed my hands gently on both of their shoulders, bringing us back home. The two hardly seemed to notice the jump, just getting closer on the bed. I grabbed the comforter and pulled it over all of us before drifting off.

Somehow, I managed to wake up before the both of them. I had no doubt it was well into the afternoon, so how was as good a time as any to make them feel my wrath. I grabbed water from the washroom and dumped it over the both of them watching them both sputter and thrash around. They both sat up and looked at me, sort of betrayed.

"Do either of you have any idea how much time it took to find you last night?"

"Sorry, we went on a run and went too far and by the time we realized, I couldn't find our way back," Winston said. "Asher tried to warp but the wards against it from the ball are still in effect."

"Still, you couldn't send me a message?"

"I don't know how to do that," the hybrid murmured sheepishly.

"Fine, but remember what we said about bringing guards? What if something had happened to you both?"

"Didn't you go alone to find us," Asher questioned.

"I was out of my mind with worry when I went for you. Besides, this is your second offense this week, so I would tread carefully."

Asher made a face like a kicked puppy and Winston turned on me. "Hey, again, we didn't plan on leaving the premises, don't be so hard on him. We faired fine on our own, didn't we?"

"No, you two don't get to team up and make me feel bad, I spent the entire night looking for you both." I glared at both of them.

"Accept our apology?" Asher came close and wrapped me in his arms and I reluctantly let myself lean back into him. "Fine, but do this shit again and I'm literally putting you both with the hounds for the night."

They both nodded at this and we all got up for a rather late lunch. Winston's mother interrupted, saying she needed to share some urgent matter with her son, and we excused him. I didn't miss the worried look that crossed Asher's face as we watched our mate's retreating form.

"What happened?"

"Hmm?"

"In the woods. I've been thinking it over. You told Winston you couldn't use magic to get back. That would be a fair claim, seeing as to how you had no enchantment materials on you and given our trio, following the bond would've been a whole mess of an ordeal. However, I found you, you had one of my blades on you. If you had enough magical knowledge to understand how to creep around the restrictions of a boundary curse, you surely could've used a locator spell to get you back to the castle. Takes up a good amount of energy and time to cast, but we both know you have a surplus. So why lie?"

Asher took a sip of his tea, regarding me with calculating eyes. I glared. He knew better than to say he had forgotten he could've done that. Yet, he also knew I'd caught him redhanded.

"Why ask questions you know the answer to," he asked. "False pretenses, sure, however, this is the closest I've managed to get with him.  I won't apologize for that. Though, I will apologize for having you worried."

Part of me wished to press him further. Something occurred between them in those woods. They can keep their secrets. For now.

"I wish for some live target practice."

"I'll have a stable hand prep the horses," he replied rising to his feet.

"I'll send for our bows and quivers."