IX: Winston

Robin and I both wait anxiously, our hands clasped tightly together as we wait at the front door to the castle, guards lining the snowy path, trumpeters at the ready, the staff off to the sides, clutching their winter coats to them. Snow fell around us, and Robin pressed himself into my side for warmth, opting to not turn into an inferno in the frigid February air.

Today was a big day to be documented. The event of Asher's homecoming caused a buzz among the castle. Everyone was curious as to how the monks have helped him make a recovery.

Some speculated that he'd look different, others theorized his powers being great.

I didn't know what to expect, which was the route of my anxiety. The letters from Asher had been frequent at first, but as the months went on, they'd gotten more sparing. The cold winter made meant that the messenger birds were tucked in their cages, communication going threw the much more expensive phoenixes instead and the treacherous condition of the mountains along with their frequent avalanches meant that rather than receiving daily messages, we were lucky to be able to get one in every two weeks.

The first time an avalanche occurred and the Phoenix came back, Robin was overcome with worry. He had demanded we retrieve our mate once the monks cleared the snow from the doors of their gates, horrified at the thought of them all holed inside their temples until the priests and priestesses of Hephaestus and Hestia could worm their own ways out and melt the snow. I had calmed him down, reassuring him that they were prepared for these conditions, and likely had rations, although I must admit I had my doubts as well.

We could all hear the galloping of the horses, crunching the ice snow filled roads, making their way up the path before we could see the carriage. It seemed as if it took an eternity to reach the top of the circle. Trumpets sounded as the coachmen opened the doors, and out came a beast of a man.

He looked much more rugged than when we saw him last. His hair no longer the short waves at the top of us head, but grown out, styled and coming down to just below jaw length. He'd allowed his facial hair to grow out as well, no longer sporting the clean shaven sailor look as before. He stood to his full height, just taller than me, having done away with his slouch, his stature buffer, and as he approached the two of us, you could simply feel the power leaking off of him.

Alto paced around in my head, taking his presence as a challenge, something that's never happened before. It was as if he was a stranger in Alto's eyes. I tried to calm the wolf down, remind him that it was just Asher, our Asher, and yet he began to give a low growl in our collective mind as our mate stopped just a foot before us.

I put on a pleasant face, ignoring my wolf, shaking Asher's hand.
"Welcome back." I greet him.

"Thank you." I swear his voice deepened, and it sent a shiver down my spine.

I was sure of it now. They didn't heal him in the mountains they'd given him a whole other vessel. Gone was the meek lanky caster I'd known, and here before me stood someone completely different. The five months had served him well.

Robin greets him as well and we turn to go into the castle, everyone else waiting a respectful moment before filing back in as well.

We go straight to our own private library to catch up.

"I missed you both." he says, softly.

"We missed you as well. You've changed." I comment, looking him up and down again.

"In a good way I hope?"

"Of course." Robin said, practically undressing him with his eyes.

I rolled my eyes at the horny caster, turning my attention back to my animal spirit and noting his hostility towards Asher. It's strange because all my senses were telling me it's still our mate, even Robin had a proper response.