III: Winston

[X]

That's my sign for a mature content warning. It'll be at the top of some chapters occasionally. Maybe this might be the only time. I don't know, we'll see.

••••
"Son how're you doing with your mates?" father questions.

"We're all doing just fine. Robin has gone easy on Phoenix thus far."

"Yes, that warlock has quite the fire to him." Uncle Ben remarks, picking up his youngest pup by the scruff as her two older brothers barreled past, nearly running her over.

Gingerly, I take Yvette from his hands, placing the pup in my lap to play with her.

"Tell me about this Lord Montenari."

"He's very illusive. Not much is known about him or his family. They carry status and he and his mother are active with a few other nobles but beyond those interactions and their side work, no one has a clue what they do. What I do know is that he is strong."

"What do you mean?"

"He was able to calm Robin during one of his episodes. He didn't get burned by the flame. That's remarkable, only Robin's mother has ever been able to and hear comes along Phoenix and he handled it with such grace, like he's done it thousands of times before. His wolf's aura is unreadable for some reason, but on size alone I'd place him at being a beta, if not an alpha."

"Are you two connecting well?" father asks.

"I believe so. I mean, it's only been a few days, so it's hard to gage. We just haven't spent all that much time together."

"And Phoenix and Robin?"

"They seem to be getting along alright. They went to the stronghold yesterday during my meeting, and that seemed to go well."

"I'm glad to hear it. It must be rough for him, coming into a preexisting relationship."

"I think he's adapting well."

My dad just nods and we continue on running. Truthfully, I didn't know where I stood with Phoenix. It was far too early to tell, and I hardly knew anything about the man. What region is he from? What's his favorite color? Does he prefers the sun, the moon, or the stars? What is his family like?

These all began to swirl around in my head. I knew these things for my feisty red headed mate. Robin grew up in the South of Natus in the capital city but found solace in the family hunting manor in the North, loves green cause it reminds him of nature and loves the way that the sun beats down on the earth on a hot summers day, and the way it looks touching the horizon.

These were things that Robin hasn't directly told me, but I knew the answers from getting to know him. I hope to know the same for Phoenix soon.

I heard a twig snap in the forest to our left and whipped my head over. The noise stopped abruptly, but I listened closely and a few seconds later I heard the sound of a paw crunch down on fallen leaves. I mind linked my father, telling him to keep everyone alert, then before he could stop me, i darted into the tree line.

A brown wolf had its back to me and without hesitation I tackled it down, the both of us rolling until we came to a stop, with my lion form lingering over the wolf. Our eyes held and I gasped, quickly getting off the shifter, going back to human form. My beta, Iris follows suit, clapping my back in a warm embrace after shifting back.

"I didn't know you were coming. How're things back home?" I question.

"They're alright. Delta Thompson is in charge of the castle for the moment. Of course we all miss our royals."