VI: Winston

"What's on the agenda for today?" Phoenix questions.

"You're medical and magical examination by our physician."

He tensed.

"Is there a problem?" I ask, both my spirit and I's hackles raised. I didn't like seeing him in distress.

"I just haven't ever gotten one of these tests. I don't know what to expect. My father didn't believe in physicians. He hailed from a healing tribe of witches. The way he saw it, it he couldn't fix us, no one could. Since his passing I've never had the need for one."

"It's nothing to fear! Our physician is amazing. His father was a minor Oracle and he inherited his trait at seeing magical auras. He'll just take down marks of what your domain is and assess you from there." Robin explains, rubbing his fingers across Phoenix's knuckles in the efforts to calm him.

Our mate however still didn't appear to be convinced. His face remained impartial for the rest of breakfast and even on the way to the medical wing.

"Will you be okay in there alone?" I ask.

Phoenix snorts. "I'm twenty-one years of age, I think I'll be just fine. Don't worry a pretty hair on that brunet head of yours."

With that he pushes open the door, closing it shut behind him.

I began to pace as we continued to wait for Phoenix's physical examination to be over. It was taking much longer than expected, and I was starting to panic. Had something gone wrong? Maybe his health wasn't as great as we thought it was. My thoughts began to run a mile a minute, and I could feel my wolf's stress as well.

"Winston, you'll wear a hole into the rug." Robin says in a soft tone, trying to calm me down.

"How aren't you feeling anxious?" I question.

"If we're both anxious then nothing productive happens. We'll just feed off each other's negative energy."

I pause my pace and nod at this, retaking the seat next to him. My leg still bounced slightly and he shook his head at my antics.

Finally, Phoenix stepped out of the doctors office, his face looking impartial, like he's trying to fend off emotion from it, and he has an envelope with the doctor's seal on it.

The doctor comes out soon after, a neutral look on his face. "Your Majesties, he's requested to discuss his medical records with you in private, so you're all done here."

We both thank him and then turn to our mate, worried looks on our faces.

"Can we go back to our room?" he asks, looking anywhere but us.

His voice sounded small, like a child afraid. This only fueled my anxiety further. What was in that report that would have him so panicked.

"Yes, of course. What's wrong?" Robin questions.

My mind went into overdrive. I was analyzing everything I could see about Phoenix. On the outside he looked fine, a little lanky, but nothing too bad. What if it's his magic? Or both? Or what if he's been poisoned since his arrival to the palace. There must be some reason that the oracles hadn't seen Phoenix in their vision. Gods-

"Please tell me you're not terminally ill." I beg him.

"It won't kill me, relax."

I share a look with Robin. So, he is ill.

We reach our room and take a seat at the round table in the corner, both of us waiting for Phoenix to speak.