Chapter Thirty - Punishment

The slap was as loud as a clap and sent a stinging sensation across her face. It had been an open-handed smack, leaving a fiery red mark behind as a souvenir of being a victim of his lethal anger. She staggered backwards, clutching her face, eyes teary and lips trembling. The hall went silent soon after, stunned by the sudden action.

She didn't have the courage to even lift her face and when she did, all she saw was Arnav's rigid eyes and soon all blood drained out of her face as she registered his infamous deadly glare.

A few minutes passed by and everyone just stood there in a bewildered silence, their brains too tired to grasp more happenings of this night. They had been confused ever since NK requested them all to hide themselves, then utterly disorientated when they heard Khushi's voice booming in the hall along with Sheetal's cries. With a sob, Payal had even tried to come out and reach for her baby sister when NK held her and whispered with a heavy heart that whoever was there, was not his Khushiji.

The puzzles grew tenfold and they had all sagged back, until a wave of sheer horror made them stand on their feet and glare at Sheetal who confessed all her crimes. And now, as they stared at a raging Arnav ready to kill his beloved friend, the pieces of the puzzle keep on getting fragmented and confounding.

For a hot moment, Anjali felt like marching towards her brother and rebuke him - make him realize his mistakes once again and deepen the knife of guilt in his heart for he has been supporting his wife's murderer all along. But as she saw his eyes, she felt something freeze inside of her. His eyes were enraged, for sure, but behind that storm laid a raw anguish, something akin to what she used to see his eyes whenever Khushi was hurt - the same anguish she craved to see in his eyes since so many days.

She blew out a breath, realizing that was what had stuck in her throat as she looked in front of her with keen eyes attempting to understand the paradox her brother had turned into.

"A...r..arnav.." Mustering some courage, Sheetal had just opened her mouth when low hiss from Arnav sent her voice as well as courage down her throat, making her choke on them in the process.

"Don't. I have tolerated you enough. Now one more word from you and you'll find yourself six feet under the ground, you get that?"

His finger rose as a warning as he spoke and she felt a jarring sensation throughout her body at the sheer contempt that he withheld for her - both in his tone and eyes.

"A..arnav believe me.." Sheetal tried again, her voice cracking and breaking at the hurt his hatred was causing to her heart.

"I..I didn't do anything.. Trust me. I am not lying...I am speaking the truth! Arnav, I'm telling you the truth!" Her body shook as she moved up and down, restlessly trying to get him to believe her. 

"Truth and you?" A sneer appeared in Arnav's eyes for second, before that mocking laughter was engulfed by a blinding bitterness. "This word does not suit a lady like you, Sheetal. You're made of lies, solely and only lies and nothing that escapes your mouth can ever be considered truth."

He taunted, stunning Sheetal to no end.

"Arnav, how can you say that?" She asked with tears blurring her vision. "You believe this unknown girl over me? It's, it's easier for you to trust her, who has been scaring me for so many days, who has been sneaking into this house constantly, but it's impossible for you to trust me? Your, your friend?"

Arnav gasped, softening his eyes as he spoke with a pretended realization. 

"You're right Sheetal." He said, his overly contemplating tone mocking her words and she sagged, unable to understand what to do so she could clear off the mess she just made.