Convincing

Chapter 13

Mallaurie's POV

Jack's breathing increased dramatically as she started to panic. Maybe I shouldn't have told her. I watch her pace the room, I don't know what to do and so she just keeps pacing, trying to convince herself it's a dream or she's hallucinating. I stand up and point at her. "Jackelynn Rhynes stop pacing right now! You will sit down and take this in because it IS real and YOU ARE IN DANGER! I will not have you in a blubbering mess when someone tries to kill you or worse! So you better start packing your bag before anyone does!" If I needed breath I would be breathing intensely about now but being a ghost has it's perks. She stares at me, bewildered.

"You want me to leave?" She asks. "I'm not leaving. Don't even mention it again, do you hear me. Not again." Her voice is strong and determined, I envy her, her strength but I sigh. She has to leave or she'll die or worse, everyone else will die and that would break her.

"You need to leave Jack, you have no choice."

"No, she doesn't, if she leaves she's a danger to every human who comes into contact with her." I turn to find the headmistress standing at the door.

"Can you hear me?" I'm confused, I was so sure she couldn't hear me.

"I thought you would move on if you thought no one could hear you, but it seems that Nicola has got her meddling fingers on you." Her voice is apologetic and sad, like she failed me. She waves her hand and a weight on my shoulders is lifted.

"S-she put a spell on me?"

"No dear, a witch cast that spell and a talented one at that, but you are free now." She hands me a bracelet. "Wear this, always and no magic can corrupt you."

I take the bracelet expecting it to fall through my fingers but it doesn't, I put it on and I scream. Jack runs to me in panic but by that time the pain has gone. I look down at myself as Jack stares at me. I'm alive. Well I don't know what I am. I look to the head mistress, what has she done to me?

She's smiling.

"No you are not alive Mallaurie, it is just an illusion, only black magic would bring you back and that is forbidden. Plus this gives the advantage of being able to change your appearance, all except your eyes and your voice, so you might want to steer clear of your brother dear. He will recognise you."

I look at her in awe, why would she do this for me? I turn to ask her but she's already left. Jack is still staring, mouth open and I laugh at her. She blinks back to consciousness and drags me to the mirror.

I'm beautiful.

Jack's POV

We stare at the mirror for a while, she is beautiful, blonde hair, grey eyes, olive skin and she's older, 17 maybe. I smile at her, she's so happy, people can see her again.

She turns around and hugs me, she can actually hug me, I'm so happy my cheeks are burning.

"Oh my God." She looks up at me.

"What?"

"I get to eat."

"Of all the things to be excited about you're picking food?" I laugh and she giggles.

"Of course, I haven't eaten in months."

"But are you hungry? I don't want you to be sick." I can't help but be concerned, she's like a little sister to me.

"Nope, it's an illusion remember, I'm still dead, the only reason I'm eating is because I can, not because I'm hungry. I don't have a stomach remember." She giggles again and I can't help but smile at her rosy cheeks and soft skin, I just hope Luke doesn't recognise her or that she doesn't give herself away, it would break them both.

I sigh. "Well then, we best go down to breakfast and convince everyone you're a new student." This could be really hard and I am definitely scared.