XVII. Invitation

"So, y-you are not mad at me?"

"No. Am I supposed to be? I knew exactly what I was doing."

"B-But you were high!"

She gave me an amused look as she passed the medicine ball back. There was nothing amusing about this situation! I am on the verge of turning into a ball of emotions! "And? You were too."

"Look, Amari." I sighed. "I know you said you were not looking for a relationship. I do not want you to think that I am trying to get uh..."

'Just say it Viktor!'

"In my pants?" Amari finished for me. With a small nod, I confirmed her question. To my surprise, no fury appeared in her brown eyes. It was more like... Sadness? No. It was definitely exhaustion.

"Look, man," She started. "I can tell that's the last thing you want from me. I enjoyed the other night a lot. Food and drugs. Who the hell wouldn't like that? You had multiple opportunities to take advantage of me that night but you didn't. If you did somehow force yourself on me it would be my fault."

No words left me as I passed the ball back. With the new muscle that was forming in her arms, she caught it with ease.

"Alright," Amari started "I'm ready to go home."

I looked at the clock and was surprised at the time. She was only here for 30 minutes. Had I made her uncomfortable? Am I the reason she wants to leave? Was this whole conversation a waste of her time?

'This is why you don't have friends, Viktor!'

"Amari," I called after her. "Why do you run from me?"

It was a question that I had on my mind when I first met her. Whenever I attempted to talk to Amari she shut me down. Was I just being too nosey? I probably was, but I had to know the answer to my question.

"I'm not running from you."

"Then stay here and talk to me. Do you regret the kiss?" I questioned.

"No. Like I said. I knew what I was-"

Before she could finish her sentence I pulled her into a tight hug. Of course, she did not agree to it. With soft grunts, I took all the blows to my back and ran my fingers through her hair. Her muffled swears and hard punches died down when she realized I was not going to loosen my grip.

"You are tired, no?" I asked before rubbing perfect circles on her back. She tensed up at my touch but I continued. As a child, when I was angry or upset my grandmother would rub my back. Amari wasn't a child but it was worth a shot.

"Then why won't you sleep? Do not let harsh words pierce your heart. You give yourself great stress and exhaustion when you react to the words," I mumbled. When the young woman relaxed I pulled away and examined her right hand. It was still encased in the hard green cast.

"I meant what I said that night. You truly are beautiful,"

I looked directly into her brown eyes but was only met with an endless pit of doubt.

"Bullshit," Amari spat. "You own a whole entire fucking gym! Do you not see the women who come in here? If this is just a fucking trick that you and your Korean friend set up then stop."

The same scowl from when we first met appeared with full force. Her hardened eyes pierced through me like an arrow on a bullseye.

"Forget the night. Forget the food. Forget me. We never met. Thank you for helping me gain my weight back, but I'm not here to be someone's toy. I've done enough of that in my life," She growled. I felt myself freeze as the young woman in front of me who had just walked into my life prepare to walk right back out.