XLV. Eat

Good morning!

Just a few warnings before you guys start reading this chapter. This may be a bit triggering to some people as it focuses a bit on Aisha's eating disorder. Please proceed with caution.

Also, I should have said this chapters ago. My goal with this book is not to make one group of people seem bad. Every group has that one stupid ass nigga. Christians, JWs, Atheist ect. We've met that one asshole who ruins everything. So please, no wars on what groups suck and why. Love y'all!

Enjoy!
_______________________

"Ooo! Look, Aisha! They brought chocolate pudding with your food this time! You love chocolate!"

"I'm not hungry."

Isaiah internally sighed at those three dreadful words. The visibility malnourished teen had been repeating the same phrase for the past two days. Well, either that or soul-crushing profanity. Aisha had been incredibly difficult. As her guardian, Isaiah was responsible for making medical decisions for her. That included inserting a tube through her nose that would lead straight into her stomach and feed her nutritional foods. The doctor had explained to him that the food would just be liquid nutrient filled drinks and wouldn't be enough nourishment to reverse what Aisha was doing to herself, but Isaiah signed the paper in a heartbeat anyways. He would be happy with any amount of food put into her body. Aisha was always laid back and always did what was right. She would understand why this needed to be done.

Oh, how he was wrong.

When the nurses came in with the cart full of all the materials they needed, Aisha already knew what they were going to do. Even though she was already heavily sedated from the medication that was meant to soothe the pain Jennifer put her in, she put up a big fight. She punched, kicked and bit anyone who laid a finger on her. It took Isaiah and 5 other nurses to pin down the 73-pound teen. He could see the hurt and betrayal in her eyes as he held her head still. He mumbled encouraging words to her, but was only met with more struggling. When the feeding tube was finally inserted, Aisha wailed and begged for them not to turn the machine on. Isaiah couldn't bear to see her like that and had to leave while the nurses did their job. He knew that breaking down in front of everyone wouldn't help at all.

Only a few hours after the feeding tube was inserted, Aisha had managed to pull it out twice. She was being monitored by multiple nurses, but the teen always found the perfect moment to deprive herself of the extra calories. Isaiah tried to explain to her what the staff would have to do if she kept ripping the tube out, but the irritated teen was having none of it. She was stubborn, just like her mother. Eventually, Isaiah gave in and let the nurses restrain her. What else was he to do? He was desperate for Christ sake. Each scream that left Aisha every time the tube was reinserted killed him inside. He hated seeing her so upset,

They wrapped her wrist in velcro straps that were attached to the bed rails. Although Aisha was still able to move her hands, it was impossible for her to reach for the feeding tube and pull it out. Within these two days, Isaiah constantly asked himself the same question: Was this the right choice?

"One bite," Isaiah started as he sat the tray on the mini sliding table in front of the teen. "Just one bite and I'll leave you alone. I promise."

Aisha looked down at the absurdly large meal before growling through her teeth. "I. Am. Not. Hungry! Do you not see the bullshit they are pumping into me? Jesus Christ! I thought you couldn't walk! Are you blind too?"

Isaiah sat stunned. Aisha had been snapping back at both him and the nurses, but he knew better than to yell at her . The doctor explained to him how irritable the eating disorder had made her. That her outburst were just the result of the disease she was suffering from. Isaiah had prepared himself for every insult she would throw his way. He took a deep calming breath before replying. "...I'll let you have that one because I know you're hurting."

After a few moments of silence. Isaiah grabbed the plastic spoon that was next to her food. Oatmeal, a small cup of fruit, and a chocolate pudding cup are what they gave her for breakfast. Isaiah didn't consider that a meal at all. He preferred a more traditional meal that consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast with jelly and a side of hash-browns. God, he missed Amari's cooking. Why did he have to be such a dick?

He dipped the spoon into the warm, sweet-smelling oatmeal before raising it to Aisha's chapped lips. "I know you're tired of me. Just one bite and you'll be free."

She sat straight up and looked at the paralyzed man with eager eyes. "Free? Y-You'll take the tube out?" Isaiah's heart broke at the hopefulness in her voice.

"No, baby. I meant you'll be free from me. I won't mess with you for the rest of the day," Isaiah felt like he had taken the meanest punch right to the gut when she slouched back down with a quiet "Oh."

A sigh escaped him as he observed the teen. Aisha was a replica of Destiny. The only difference was his ex-wife's hair was cut short and she sported a pair of thick nerdy glasses. Aisha wore her naturally long hair in thick neat locks and she was blessed with phenomenal vision. He remembered them teasing her mother because she was 'As blind as a bat'.

"I love you. You know that right?" Isaiah started as he placed the spoon back into the oatmeal. Losing the battle with the tears in his eyes. "Eesh. Look at me, please."

The stubborn teenager took a few moments before finally locking eyes with her stepfather. The scowl on her face softening when she noticed the tears that trailed down his cheeks and into his beard. "I am so sorry for what I put you through. I had no idea Jennifer was hurting you. I swear, I will do everything in my power to keep you safe. Whatever she was saying to you, please know that it's not true. You are strong, intelligent, and beautiful just like your mother."

"Isaiah," Aisha sighed his name. She contemplated on what her next few words should be. How would he react if she told him that she now found pleasure in the feeling of her growling stomach? That definitely wouldn't work. Isaiah would probably have her shipped away to the nearest mental institution. How about if she told him about her favorite activity? Bone tracing was a normal hobby, right?... Nope. That didn't sound too good either. She just wanted him to know it wasn't about Jennifer anymore. It was about herself, and how she craved for more changes to her body. Aisha had made so much progress and there was no stopping her now. She sat for a few moments before finally picking the best option. "It's not your fault. You didn't know Jennifer was doing this stuff to me. It's not even about her anymore. I can't stop."

Isaiah grabbed one of her wrists before undoing the restraint. He held her hand tightly but was careful of her bruised knuckles. "It is my fault. Jesus... Look at you. If only I had said something the first few times. I saw the signs and pushed them away. I assumed you were just being a teen and wanted some alone time. God, I was wrong. I was so wrong."

Aisha didn't like seeing people cry. It broke her heart that in most situations, she could only sit there and listen. Before she could try and comfort the sobbing man, his phone rang throughout the room. He quickly wiped away his tears before answering the phone. The way his voice changed from sadness to full out glee had Aisha wondering who he was talking to. Aisha knew better than to be all up in grown folks mouths when they were talking, but she couldn't help it. Was it a new girlfriend? She would never go home if it were. She would run away if she had to. Right to her Tee-

Oh...That's right

"Here," Isaiah started before handing his phone to her. "It's for you."

With her free hand, Aisha hesitantly took the phone. She looked at the number that flashed across the screen. It was weird as hell and completely unrecognizable. Shrugging it off, she brought the phone to her ear anyway.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Pooh Bear."