Exponents: Chapter Six

Chapter 6:

Angelina

Fred and George spit out their drinks when they heard me say that. I look at them.

"What?" I ask.

"You can't enter! You're so, small. Perfect target. Easily lost in a crowd." I roll my eyes. At that precise moment, Angelina sits down in front of us. She looks from Fred, to me.

"Glad to see you're eating Fred." She says in a sweet voice. I want to puke. As you can tell, I don't like Angelina. During my second year, she tripped me in the hall and called me names. Angelina, I just don't like her. She doesn't like me.

"What does she mean?" I ask Fred. He opens his mouth to respond, but Angelina interrupts.

"She means that Fred has been missing dinner for three days. He's been rushing to the hospital wing after class every day." She notices how mean her first sentence sounded, so she shoots Fred an understanding smile. He gives her a half smile.

"Are you saying it's my fault? You're thick if you think that" My face is getting a bit red, but I hide under my brown hair.

"Arielle, don't be mean to Angelina. What did she do to you? Are you jealous of her or something? You're always so stupid, Ari. You really need to calm down." Fred says. I look at him. He just stares at me. How could he? He would rather side with his stupid crush, than with his best friend? I stand and take the flowers he gave me and throw them at his head, and then I walk out.

I run to a closet door and quickly shut it behind me. It may be illogical to hide, but sometimes you just need to be alone while different thoughts are racing through your mind and you just need to breathe. 

There's footsteps outside. I stop crying and put my ear to the door.

"Fred, she's not worth it. She's mean and stupid. You don't want to be friends with someone like that, do you?" Angelina says. I want to scream and shout.

"I don't know Angelina. Maybe I was too rude." Fred replies.

"That is exactly what she needed. A rude awakening. At home, her dad treats her like royalty. She needs to wake up, and realize that she isn't a princess. And you're not her prince. Besides, you guys have been friends for a long time. It's probably best to end the friendship. I'm going to go to bed. I don't want you trying to find her." Her footsteps get quieter and quieter every second. Then some other footsteps appeared.

"Fred, what are we going to do?" George asks.

"Angelina was talking to me, and she said that Arielle, you, and I have been friends for a long time. she says it's probably best for us to just, stop our friendship. Besides, this is her last year. She's probably going to get a job as a healer like she planned to before be made up our products. She's going to forget all about us. So we should leave her alone for her studies." Stupid Fred! I'm not going to forget all about you! How could I?

"Well, if you think it's best. But go apologize to her first. You were being a twat. She's going to be hurt." The twins walk back into the Great Hall. Slowly I turn the door knob. Thankfully, there's no one there. Instead of heading for the common room, I go to the owlery. Oliver needs me to answer his letter. My hand reaches in my bag for the letter. As I walk, I re-read his words over and over again, trying to rid Angelina and Fred out of my mind. 

In the owlery I write down a simple response, saying for him to meet me in Rosmerta's at ten. I tie the letter to a grey owl, who seems eager for the job. It brings a smile to my face, thinking about Oliver. I remember when Ravenclaw was going against Gryffindor, and Oliver had said good luck, and that I would be needing it. Ravenclaw won sixty to ten. At the end of the match we had to shake hands, and Oliver's face went as Scarlet as his Gryffindor scarf.

I hear someone calling my name, and I acknowledge my surroundings. I had gotten to caught up in my memories, that I didn't even notice I was two steps away from the entrance to the common room. 

It was Fred. Who else?

"I have to tell you something." I look up at his eyes. He was obviously hurt, and it killed me to see him like that. It was unbearable. But what had been done was done. And when someone tells you to calm down, hell is unleashed.

"Fred, don't. Please, don't." I say. 

He takes my hand and begs, "Arielle, plea-"

"-I hate you right now Fred. I don't know, if it's for now, or forever, but I do know that you need to stay away from me. Please."