Exponents- Chapter 21

Chapter 21-

The Date

Easter break went quite well. Surprisingly Fred wasn't worried about the Death Eater thing. It's good, though. He really has nothing to worry about.

Being back at Hogwarts has been sort of a pain. Not only do I have tons of homework, there's also the Third Task. I've been trying to practice spells and hexes more than I have been putting effort into my school work. Thankfully for me, there's no end of the year exam. I've done some talking with Professor Dumbledore about how that would effect me being a Healer, and he contacted Healers in St. Mungos, who said that'd be fine.

Back to the Third Task. It happens to be tomorrow. Amazing thing, time is. When you wish it would stop, it appears to go by faster. What I'd do for a time turner right now!

"Ari!" Fred yelled from the end of the hall.

"Yes?" I replied.

"Since tomorrow is the third task, I was just wondering if you'd like to go eat dinner with me. By ourselves, I mean."

"Of course! Wait- right now?"

"I was thinking of maybe in thirty minutes or so when everyone else is eating."

"Oh. Yeah! Sure! Where do you want me to meet you?"

"I had found the perfect place in the Seventh floor corridor, by the big window where George and I attempted to throw you off." That was a very long story. Rather not explain that.

"Oh, yeah. See you in a bit!" I head to my dormitory, where I start getting ready. Sort of, getting ready. It's really just doing my hair, and changing the clothes under my robes. A nice muggle t-shirt and a skirt, which is a bit higher than my knees.

After about thirty minutes, I walked to the seventh floor corridor, where Fred was waiting.

"Your hair looks nice." He says. And a second later, he messes it up.

"Fred!" I glare at him. He chuckles and wraps his arm around me.

"Come on, lets go before the food gets cold." He opens the door, into a room I've never seen before. The floor is made of wood, and covering the walls are mirrors and pictures of wizards and witches dancing. In the middle of the room, was a glass table with two chairs. There was some bowls of soup, and pastries on the circular table.

"This is amazing." I whisper to myself. Fred takes my hand, and sits me down on a chair.

"Pretty nice, no?"

"It's beautiful." My eyes had noticed that hanging from the ceiling was a glass chandelier.

"I do my best." We start eating.

"Are you nervous for tomorrow?" Fred asks.

"Oh, well- yes. Completely terrified."

"I don't think you have anything to worry about, Ari."

"Yes I do. People have been killed-"

"-But Dumbledore wasn't there when that happened. He would never let anyone die."

"That's true."

"And come on. You, George, and I are a team. There's no way we're going to be broken up."

"Do we have a team name?"

"I quite like how, 'Fred and the other two' sounds." 

 "Other two? What are George and I? Nameless ghosts?"

"You're not ghosts. You're just nameless."

"That reminds me, did Ludo Bagman give you and George your money back?"

"No."

"Oh."

It got quiet for a while, and we continued eating. Fred stood up and walked to another table, where there was some cheese cake.

"For dessert, I got your favorite."

"My favorite is chocolate." Fred's face was priceless.

"I'm kidding! Come on, you know me like the back of your hand!"

"And George's hand too, don't forget that."

"How could I?"

"Ari, lets talk about the future."

"Is Divination not going good?"

"No, not that. It's going fine, by the way. I meant, what are you going to do when you leave Hogwarts?"

"Fred, I know you want me to run a shop with you and George, but it's just that I really want to be a Healer."

"Not to sound rude, because I don't mean it that way, but why?"

"When I was younger, before you even knew me, my dad got really sick. Since I had no other family, I spent weeks at St. Mungos with him. He could have lost his life back then. I was really thankful to the Healers, and I promised my dad and myself, that I'd be like them. I want to save others lives, like the Healers saved my dads. To me it's paying an old debt."

"Ari, your dad was your only family?"

"Yeah. Until you and George came by."

There was a pause.

"Ari, what about- us?"

"What do you mean?"

"Ari, if I could, right now I would get on one knee and propose to you. I really would. But I still have a year of school left, and George and I want to open a shop. Really, I just want to know if you think there's a future for us?"

I blushed.

"Fred, most boys would have been way too scared to have ever asked that question. I think almost everybody would be too afraid of asking that. I just wanted to point that out. And yeah, I think there's a future for us. To be honest, I can't see myself with anyone but you."

Fred started grinning.

"I love you, Ari."

"I love you too, Fred."

He put one finger under my chin, slowly leaning in too kiss me.

"You taste like cheese cake." He said.

We both chuckled.

Really, I love Fred. What I had said was true. I can't see myself with anyone else, but him. I'd rather die than be without him. It's not just because we're together why I'd rather die than be without him. It's because I've known him for so long, the pain would be too great. I'd feel what George would feel. Because guess what?

I love Fred.