Exponents: Chapter Seven

Chapter 7:

Oliver Wood

Somehow, the week had passed quickly. But I can still telling Fred I hated him. It was horrible of me. I don't know what got into me. Normally I wouldn't have done that. I would have calmly discussed the situation with him. I would have tried to keep him as my friend, but I didn't. 

I snapped.

It has been hard getting around not facing the twins or Angelina. It hurts me to see the twins. Pretending not to notice them can be so damn easy, but I do see them.

Anyway, today is finally the day I get to see Oliver. Catarina and I had spent quite a while picking something acceptable to wear. We were mostly picking an outfit for her, since today was her and her boyfriend's 2 year anniversary.

"Ari, you look amazing. It is now eight forty. Maybe we should get going?" She was right. We should leave. They usually let us leave at seven, but we woke up a bit late. After getting our wallets and shoes, we finally left. We're basically running at full speed. Just as we turned a corner, we bumped into two guys.

Fred and George have their hands stretched out for us to take. As rude as it might have been, we ignore them, and move on. Lately that phrase has been lingering in my head, ever since Nicole had told me to move on from Fred.

Speaking of Nicole, she's sick.

Catarina and I make it in time at Rosmerta's. She fixes my hair quickly, and then releases me to go in. I open the door very slowly.

"Hello. You look beautiful." Oliver says. He puts his hands on my waist and gives me a kiss on the cheek. I grin.

"Thank you." We go sit down at a table in the back, which is cut off from everyone else. The table is shaped in a triangle, with three chairs. Oliver and I sit next to each other. Madam Rosmerta walks over to us.

"Hello. Can I get you something?" She asks.

"I'll take a butterbeer." I say.

"I'll take one as well." Oliver replies. Madam Rosmerta smiles.

"I'll be right back."

"So, Arielle. How are you?" Oliver asks.

"I'm- alright." I was about to tell him about Fred, but that's just too much.

"You don't seem that way. Is something bothering you?" I hesitate before telling him about what Fred said.

"I can't tell you what to do. That's your call. But I can tell you that you are not mean at all. You're the smartest person I have ever met. And you are the most beautiful person my eyes have ever laid eyes on." Oliver says. There is no way I could have controlled the giggle I let out.

"Here you go Arielle. And for you Oliver." Madam Rosmerta set down our butterbeer. "Enjoy!"

"Arielle, I really like you. I've always liked you." Oliver admits. I completely freeze.

"Since I bumped into you on the Hogwarts Express." Oliver whispers. I remember that day perfectly. I was looking for a free compartment, when Oliver pops out from a compartment and bumps into me. He said that I could sit with him and his friend in their compartment. I'm glad I said yes.

"I don't know why I didn't ask you before. I've had about six years to ask you, but I never did." Oliver says.

"Ask me what?" I whisper. Oliver smiles.

"Ask you to be with me. Since I didn't do it back then, I'm going to ask you now. Arielle, will you go out with me?" He asks. 

This is a dream. It has to be. There's no other explanation. But I guess I want to make this a good dream.

"Yes!" I answer. Both Oliver and I are smiling like crazy. He get's out a few galleons and sets them on the table.

"Want to go walk around?" He asks. I nod. We stand up, holding hands, and walk out of Rosmerta's.

Outside, it's sunny. There's a slight wind which blows my hair back. There's only a few people walking out, because only fifth, sixth, and seventh years were invited to Hogsmead. 

"How long are you staying here?" I ask Oliver. I had to ask. I can't work with a long distance relationship.

"A year. Maybe less. My Quidditch team is having some issues, so we're not going to be playing any major games until next summer. We might play a few games every once in a while, but all I have to do is apparate." A year. I get out of school in just months. Maybe there is hope for Oliver and I.

"That's good. Not the Quidditch issues, though." I say. Oliver laughs.

"Want to go into Zonko's? I'm actually staying in the flat above Zonko's." I nod. We walk into Zonko's and walk to the back, where some stairs lead to a door. Oliver unlocks the door and we walk in. It looks pretty nice. There's a couch and a coffee table in the middle of the room, and then there's two other doors that must lead somewhere.

Oliver sits down on the green leather couch. He pats a spot next to him.

"Want to sit?" When I go sit down next to Oliver, he wraps his arm around me. It feels sort of right to lay my head on his shoulder.

"I like your place." I say.

"I like you." He replies. I look at him. He looks at me.

His face is so close to mine. I can smell his sweet breath. His big brown eyes are staring down at me. We slowly start leaning in, our eyes closed. Our lips meet. At first, the kiss was soft and tender, but then it got more and more intense.

"Ari?" A voice said. Oliver and I turn to face the door.

Fred is standing there. Out of all people. Fred Weasley.

Oliver rushes to the door. 

"Fred, Arielle can't talk. She's- um- busy." Oliver says. Fred doesn't move.

"Busy snogging you. Don't pretend you weren't. I saw. Let me talk to her, Oliver." Fred tries to enter, but Oliver blocks the way. So Fred ignores me for days, but suddenly he decides it's okay to talk to me? No. It's not. I get up and walk to the door.

"It's okay Oliver." I whisper to him. He nods and stands to the side.

"Ari, I want to say sorry." I look at Fred.

"Why now? You could have apologized yesterday! Or the day before!" I shriek. Fred is really getting on my nerves. He doesn't answer.

"Fred, I heard you and Angelina talking. If you don't want to be friends, fine! See if I care! Why don't you go with Angelina! I bet she would enjoy your company. In fact, I'm sure she's the one that planted that curse on me! Just so she could be with you! That good for nothing little skunk!" I yell.

"Maybe I will go join Angelina! I'd rather be with her than with a little whining brat like you!" Fred yells back.

"THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM FRED!" I shout, "AND IT NEEDS TO STOP. JUST GO AWAY!" 

I slam the door on his face as hard as I can. And that was the end of that. At least, for today it was.