Chapter 21

******
Mason in the picture above. This song gave me a family vibe and this chapter is all about family.

******
I didn't tell Jason anything on the way home and he didn't ask questions. The doctor gave me the papers and now here I am sitting on Jason's bed with the little boy trying to figure out whom he is.

"Can you tell me what your name is?" I asked him. I know now that he's three years old. Still a baby in my eyes.

"Ma-Mason."

"Hi Mason I'm Hailey." Mason smiled cutely as he studied my face.

"What are we going to do?" Jason asked as he looked over the adoption papers. It's been twenty-four hours since Mason's mom died and since then we've been trying to figure out what to do.

"I-I don't know what you want to do. I say we fill out the papers and take it from there. I can't see such an innocent little baby go into the system." I was nervous. By now I would've thought he would flip on me for bringing the child into his house.

"Okay." He began signing the papers and I watched him with my mouth slightly ajar. Jason is actually agreeing with me. We're adopting a child. Jason McCann and I are adopting Mason.

Jason's POV

I'm going to have a family. Mason, Hailey, and I are going to be a family. When I first laid eyes on her and Mason I knew she wasn't letting him go. The way she held him as he slept in her arms during the ride home.

Hailey had her mind made up since she walked out the hospital. This is the first step in the right direction. We never finished our conversation yesterday night. I hope that we can today.

"Mamma." Mason mumbled from the back seat as he looked out the window. Hailey looked back at him with a small smile. The kid is adorable. He looks like that singer Harry Styles.

"Mason?" Hailey called to him.

"Hmm?"

"Are you hungry?"

He looked up at her with a smile. She smiled back as he nodded quickly. I almost forgot he was homeless. How long has it been since he's eaten?

"Hawey?" Mason spoke as we pulled into McDonald's parking lot. Hailey looked at him with the biggest smile I've ever seen. She hasn't smiled like that since before she knew I was stalking her.

"Yes love?"

"Mamma no come back?"

"She is in a beautiful place now baby. She is safe there okay?" Hailey explained that ten thousand times better than I would have.

"Otay. You mamma now?" At that, we both paused. She looked at me but I just shrugged. His mom just died yesterday.

"You can call me whatever you like. Mamma or Hailey or whatever else you like is fine with me." Mason smiled at this. We continued into McDonalds and let Mason pick whatever he wanted.

Surprisingly, all he wanted was a happy meal. Hailey got fries and a caramel frappe. At the moment, I didn't want anything. Hailey and Mason played around as they ate. I got a bubbly feeling in my stomach as I watched them smiling and giggling about something Mason did.