Turn To You

I trotted down the street, already late for work as it is. You’d think after living in New York for a year now, I’d be good at navigating myself through the streets, but you’re sadly mistaken. I was worse then a lost puppy in the rain forest. I looked up at the sky, noticing a One Direction billboard, a scowl forming on my face. 

I didn’t have anything against One Direction really - only a certain member. I’d grown up with Zayn Malik, and he’d always been my best friend, but the moment X-Factor picked him up he lost all contact with me. I rolled my eyes, pushing open the doors to my office building. 

“How nice of you to show up,” Agnes, the receptionist said, a smug grin on her face. I looked up at her, brushing a few blonde strands out of my face.

“Very funny,” I quipped, walking over to her desk and grabbing a cup of coffee. I stepped away from the desk and made my way toward the hall that led to my office, determined to get a little extra work done, considering I’d been late quite a few times just this week.

“Boss man wants you,” Agnes said, drawing my attention away from the piping hot coffee in my hands. I looked over my shoulder at her, feeling said coffee slip out of my hand and down my chest.

“Son of a-” I started, stopping myself when my eyes caught my boss, Larry’s. 

“Ah, Ariel, how good of you to join us,” Larry said, his voice sounding a little less than thrilled. I gave him a sheepish grin, pulling the sweater that was now soaked in coffee away from my chest, the scorching hot liquid leaving my skin warm and sticky. I let out a sigh as Larry made his way toward his office, not even having to tell me to follow him. 

Working in Larry’s office, you learned a thing or two. One, Don’t make Larry mad, and two, if you do make Larry mad, if he wants to see you in his office, you might as well start packing up yours while you still have some dignity. 

“Look Larry, I’m really sorry I’ve been late recently, I don’t know what’s come over me. I’ll work late tonight and come in an hour early tomorrow, okay? I really need this job. I don’t what I’ll do if you-”

“Ariel,” Larry called out, cutting me off. He motioned for me to sit down in the small wooden chair adjacent to his large mahogany desk. I sucked in a deep breath, sitting down in the chair, my fingernails beginning to grind into the wood of the chair. 

“I’ve told you countless times to call me Mr. Henderson in my office,” He sighed. I nodded, spitting out an apology. 

“Please tell me I’m not fired,” I begged, my eyes pleading.

“Far from, actually,” Larry said, turning to his computer and typing something into google. I sat quietly, the only sounds I could hear were my heart-beat, the ticking of Larry’s large roman numeral clock, and his fingers ticking away at the keys of the keyboard.

He turned the monitor of the computer around to reveal a photo of One Direction, all of their faces alight with big smiles. I furrowed my eyebrows, turning to Larry with a confused expression.

“Do you know who this is?” He asked, motioning toward the band. I nodded - of course I know who they are, I thought. That band only houses my best friend since birth, but I didn’t expect Larry to know that. I didn’t exactly tell people about his and my past - because it was exactly that, the past. 

“Well, you’ll be their new stylist for their up and coming American tour,” Larry grinned. My eyes widen, and I could feel my jaw physically drop. I sat silently there, my mouth hanging open as Larry gained some sort of smug smile. I shook my head, trying to regain my composure.