Chapter 12 - Orange Player

I biffed Arwin on the back of the head harshly, sending him flying to the ground.

"Oww! What was that for?!" I huffed, staring down at him as he rose to get up, "What the hell were you thinking?! You are lucky that Ryoko found a way to fix this or else would have really had your head!" I shouted, my voice resembling my mother's whenever she scolded me for doing something bad. Arwin sighed heavily, running a hand through his hair before I pulled him back up to his feet.

"I know, Luis. I screwed up big time. And I'm terribly sorry for that." I shook my head, glancing around us to see some players stopping to stare at us, wondering what we were fighting about.

"Let's talk somewhere else, if others find out that you don't have a weapon, then you are toast." Arwin nodded in agreement. We left the outside of the inn, going into a nearby alleyway that was big enough to fill about twenty players in, if we were to walk slowly, we can come off as non suspicious to the police in the game, aka actual players.

"To be honest with you, I wasn't expecting Ryoko to defend me like that. I mean, we have only just met-".

"She didn't exactly defend you, she solved the problem because she knew how vital it was for you three to have weapons when we go to fight the floor boss. And it is also incredibly lucky that she has a brother in a guild known to go to the Frontline. You better get on your hands and knees to thank the two of them.".

"I will sure to... Anyways, so she is the only one who came through?" I nodded, "Everyone else left were too afraid to go into the game like us, Ryoko was the last person that could find as she had a copy and also relations to another player in the game, her older brother." I informed him with a small smile. He furrowed his brows before a smirk plastered across his face. He elbowed me in the ribs, startling me.

"What was that-".

"What was that? You are smiling, don't tell me that you dont-" I groaned, whacking him at the back of the head again, the pop up for violence showing in front of us. He hissed, holding onto the back of his head before declining the pop up for harassment.

"See! You have a thing for her!".

"No I don't, Arwin. You know that my heart belongs to someone else.".

"Yeah sure, a girlfriend who wanted nothing to do with you until you told her right before you left of what you were going to do. Then all of a sudden, she wanted to be at your side-" I sent him a glare. He gulped, putting his hands up in defense.

"I should have never told you that." I growled. He grimaced as I picked up my speed, walking away from him.

"I'm sorry Luis! My mouth has a mind of it's own!" I shook my head, ignoring him. I heard him blow a raspberry in the air before his footsteps neared me, wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

"I said I was sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound that way." I shook my head, grabbing hold of his ear and pulling it.

"Ow, ow, ow, ow!".

"I have no feelings for Ryoko. She just reminds me of my little brother.".

"Oh."

"Yes, oh. Now come on, let's head back. Gerin must be cooked off by now by just a smidge.".

---

I yawned tiredly, kicking my feet back and forth as I sat at the table, waiting for Luis and Arwin to come back, and also word from Fuurinkazan to let us borrow some of their weapons. Klein was currently speaking to them via group chat on his scroll, sitting across from me. Gerin sat beside me, still fuming over the predicament in both worry and anger. I understood her, but I also understood Arwin, and he knew that he had made a dramatic mistake that may never be corrected. If left unresolved. I glanced out the window, peering at the outside world. I wondered, why would someone need so many weapons? You couldn't sell them unless you got permission from the owners, and as far as I knew, you couldn't use them in high level battles-.

"Gerin, is it possible that the orange player is using your weapons as bait?".

"What do you mean by that?".

"I mean, they can't sell them for gold, because then they would be apprehended for selling stolen goods, and they can't exactly use them in terms of battle." Gerin nodded, also noticing these factors once I opened her thought process up.

"That's strange, but it isn't uncommon for Orange Players to steal items from other players, but since they can't use our weapons... What do they need them for?"

"I spoke to my guildmates and they agreed to lend you three weapons, they were wondering where we could meet up to exchange before heading to the front." Klein suddenly stated, totally missing our conversation.

"Forget about the weapons for now, I believe we have someone trying to communicate with us." Klein furrowed his brows, leaning forward on his forearms.

"What do you mean?".

"The Orange Player, or as we think of them to be, may not even be an Orange Player at all.".

"And?" Klein pried, still confused. I sighed heavily, shaking my head at my brother.

"Okay, listen closely...".

---

The three discussed the possibility of the alleged 'Orange Player' trying to communicate with them without doing so directly, was causing more confusion than good. Luis and Arwin entered back into the inn, spotting Quill speaking to the NPC InnKeeper

"Luis, Arwin!" Ryoko yelled to them, waving her arm at the two. They glanced at one another before Gerin turned around in her seat, sending a quick glare their way. Arwin gulped nervously, adjusting his chest plate

"Umm.. Hi?"

"Arwin, what did the player look like?"

"You mean the Orange Player? I never got to look at his face as his back was turned to me majority of the time." Gerin rolled her eyes at him, clenching her jaw, "Of course... Arwin, what color was his game bobble?"

"Green."

"Then it isn't a Orange Player."

"Huh?" Luis asked, confused.

"What do you mean by that Gerin?"

"We think it isn't a Orange Player, but instead someone trying to gain our attention." Ryoko explained to the two. Quill turned back around, humming in agreement

"I asked the InnKeeper, and he said that if weapons were stolen, it was best to look at the last place they were seen." Quill told the group. Klein stood up, stretching as his bones popped in satisfaction

"Welp, Arwin lead the way to the Blacksmith.".

To Be continued

Sorry for this chapter being shorter than usual! I hope you all enjoyed! -Golden