Chapter 43: Toxic Love

Make sure you read the author's note. It's important.

Chapter 43: Toxic Love

Jason's P.O.V

Johnson shut the door on his way out. The sick son of a bitch forgot who I am. Does he not realize that a simple knot cannot restrict my hands back? I can easily get out of the ropes that are tied around my hands, but the ropes tied around my legs and Carter's body is another story. It's nearly impossible to get out of these ropes and get Carter out of her ropes AND make it out without burning alive.

Carter sat in her chair with her eyes shut. Is she sleeping, playing dead, or what?

"Carter, what the fuck are you doing? Get up! This is not the time to be sleeping." I scolded. Her eyes shot open as she rolled her eyes. "Um Jason, I'm trying to sleep because I love to sleep. Also, I want to live my last few minutes of living asleep because I love sleeping and I'm trying not to think about death right now."

Ugh, why is she so stubborn? Does she not realize that we are going to die if we don't hurry our asses up? It's nearly impossible to get out of here in time. I could easily escape by leaving Carter behind. But, I don't care. I'd rather burn alive than leave Carter behind, there's no way that I'd do it. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

I started to fiddle with the rope that tied my hands together. After a couple seconds of picking at it, I finally got my hands free. Looks like Johnson is losing his spark. He isn't going to take me down.

I looked up at Carter and she sat there, tears streaming down her cheeks. I hate seeing her like this, but there's nothing that I could do to prevent it. Everything is Johnson's fault. He ruined my life. I didn't have to be a criminal, but he basically made me into one, and I was young back then and I just wanted to make him proud. I regret everything.

I reached my hands down towards my feet and I immediately began to fiddle with the rope. I started to tug at the rope, twisting it in all directions. I was trying to loosen it, but it only seemed to wrap tighter and tighter around my ankles. Okay, I was wrong, Johnson didn't lose his spark. He knows how to tie a damn good knot.

If anything, he should be in my place right now. He deserves to die, not me and especially not Carter.

Finally, I got my ankles free from the knot. I stood up from the chair and immediately ran towards Carter. I hovered over her shaking body, tugging at the rope on her wrists. Tears cascaded down her face and I could tell that she didn't want to die like this. "Carter, baby, calm down. Everything is going to be okay." I cooed, still tugging at the ropes.

With one last pull I got her wrists free. I knelt down towards her legs and began to fiddle with the other ropes. "Jesus fucking Christ!" I yelled while trying to break her ankles free. He tied her ropes a lot tighter than he tied mine, it seems like he almost did this on purpose.

I let out a few grunts and profanities as I broke her ankles free.

She stopped shaking and stood up from her chair. I could smell the burning of wood, those fuckers lit my house on fire. "Carter, we have to get out of here... now!" I yelled and she shook her head repeatedly. The smell was only getting stronger and that only meant one thing: the fire was spreading. I intertwined our fingers and I attempted to push past the big door. It was fucking locked.

Carter started to cry again and I had a feeling in my gut that everything would be okay, but what if I'm wrong this time?

I tore my hand away from Carters, running towards the big door. I hit it once, twice, three times, and then it finally busted open. Pieces of the wooden door flew in all directions. Damn, that door was expensive.

I grabbed Carter's hand again and I led her towards the kitchen. The smell of the fire was only getting stronger and the heat was increasing by the second. Beads of sweat formed on my forehead as I walked through the kitchen, Carter followed behind.

We got through the kitchen, and I opened the door that led to the living room.

Carter's P.O.V

I screamed at the horrific site that was in front of me. Flames filled the room, sparks flew around, and all of our furniture was completely burnt. "How are we going to get out?!" I cried. "Just follow me and stay close by, I'll get us out baby."

Jason turned around, pulling me behind him. He ran back through the kitchen until we hit the stairway that led to the second floor. "Jason, we need Karma!" I yelled. "God dammit Carter, do you want to live or do you want the dog to live? We don't have many options here. Let's fucking go!" He yelled, pulling me up the staircase.

By the time we were upstairs, the fire was only getting worse and we were bound to die. I knew it, he knew it too, but I could tell that he was too afraid to tell me that this was the end.

"Carter, I may not have been the best boyfriend ever, but just know that I love you so much, and no matter what happens, you will always be my favorite girl. I don't know if we are going to be okay or not. I'm so sorry for not protecting you. I will try my hardest to get us out of here, but our chances of getting out of here are very little." He said.

Tears welled up in my eyes, for the hundredth time today. "I love you too and you tried your hardest to protect me and that's all that matters. Let's just focus on getting out of here. We can do this."

He nodded and pulled me into our bedroom. Flames took up the staircase so there was no way to go back down. The only way we could get out of this hell house is if we go up. The flames were spreading fast and we were running out of options. A tear cascaded down my cheek, but I tried to ignore it.

Jason led me towards the window and he stood up on top of the bed. The flames were behind us and there was absolutely nowhere to go. It was scorching hot and my shirt was soaked from mine and Jason's sweat. Jason tried to open the window, but it was stuck.

It was stuck.

"C-Carter, I-I had all of the windows c-closed permanently s-so if Johnson were to come h-he wouldn't be able t-to get in." Jason stuttered. I could feel more tears rushing to my eyes again.

We lost.

It was too late.

I felt like I had the wind knocked out of me and Jason looked the same. A sob escaped my lips and Jason stood there shocked, as sweat dripped down his face. My lip was trembling and my whole body was under shock; we are going to die. Jason McCann had lost and he had to take me down with him. I guess this was God's way of punishing us for having such a Toxic Love.

***

Epilogue is coming soon. Btw an epilogue is a final chapter that wraps everything up and NOT another book... sorry for the confusion.

65+ comments to find out if Jason and Carter survived or not.... :(

This is the last chapter.

Follow my ig: @lustdrew (I post Justin and Justin edits)