Chapter 9

I am woken up to someone shaking my shoulder. "Come on, Tris. We are going to be late!" Still half asleep and confused I get up. People are shuffling back and forth, getting changed and ready.

I find Edward next me, he must have woken me up. "What's going on?" I say rubbing the sleep from my eyes. "We have a meeting, didn't you hear? Oh, that's right you were too involved with Four." He says the last part with a hint of disgust. This a problem I will have to deal with later. Edward hands me a stack of clothing and walks off. Weird, I think. I walk around until I find an empty room and quickly peel off my filthy clothing, replacing them with a loose grey shirt, and dark blue jeans. I try to pat down my hair, and decide to put it in an Abnegation bun.

I feel like a child, considering that my clothing is much to big for me. I sigh and carry on with the day.

I walk back down to the lobby and follow the group of factionless out of the building. The sun is blinding compared to the dim light I have become accustomed to over the past week.

I begin searching around for Tobias, and then remember that we are 'broken up'. I don't like having to keep our relationship a secret, but a forbidden love is better then no love at all.

I follow the factionless into a building similar to the one we just left. This one though, shows signs of faded blue paint on the crumbling exterior.

We walk past a lobby and into a rather large auditorium. Groups of factionless are already seated, and more flood in. In the center of it all stands Evelyn. A smug look on her face as she grips the old wooden podium placed in the middle of the stage.

I quickly skim the crowd, looking for my forbidden love, just to see that he is here. I don't see him anywhere. I don't know why, but a bubble of worry forms in my chest. Where is he?

I take a seat near the stage. I am only six rows away from the evil shrew, who tried to keep Tobias and I apart.

When every one is seated, and seems settled enough, Evelyn begins to speak. Her voice carries throughout the room and every murmur of chit-chat ceases.

"I am not your leader." She says, "I am simply your voice, I will right the wrong, I will make us heard. No longer will we be scrounging for scraps and crumbs. We will feast like kings, and I will not allow anyone to stand in our way. We are our own society, and we will not be ignored. To long, we have lived as second class citizens among the faction rule. To long, we have longed for shelter and warmth!" I am terrified as I watch the crowd around me nod in agreement. "That is why I will bring down the factions, why we must take a stand. I am pleased to announce that we have help in our journey." She gestures behind her, and I gasp when Tobias appears from behind the ragged curtains. "My son, Tobias!" The crowd erupts in cheers, and I am horrified.

What will I do? What can I do? Can the factionless really take down a system that has been functioning for over a century? And, why on earth would Tobias want to help Evelyn in any way. He lied to me, I can never forgive him for this. He is committing mutiny against an entire city, for what? To take down his father as leader? He is not power hungry, but Evelyn is. She would stop at nothing to see Marcus weak and helpless, begging for mercy at her feat.

Whatever Tobias's reasoning, I will not except it. He may think that he is doing the right thing, but he must also know that I won't stand for it. Even if it means fighting him, even if it means leaving him.

---------------------------------------------

Hope you all enjoyed! Please comment and vote. :-)

If you like my story, you might also like my friends. It's called What if? (Divergent No War) 😊