Chapter 18

I don't remember much of getting to the Abnegation sector, it seems like a blur. My legs should burn from running so fast and long, but the adrenaline seems to numb them.

Tobias waists no time when we reach the Abnegation sector. Immediately, and almost automatically walking toward one of the dozens of gray, mirror image homes. Each one looks exactly the same, but I can still identify mine, and the one that Tobias is walking towards, Marcus's.

He stops in the doorway, his deep blue eyes displaying his fear. I take his hand in my own, and knock on the door.

I hear shuffling, and a "come in". I throw open the door and drag Tobias into the familiar living room.

Marcus looks up, bewildered at our appearance. I am not the fragile little girl I was a few weeks ago, nor is Tobias the poor little boy, abused by his disgrace of a father. We are strong, factionless, and proud.

"We have important information, so shut up and sit down." I command him.

If I were still in Abnegation, no doubt I would punished for talking to anyone like this, especially the head of the city, but I don't have any time for curtesy.

"Beatrice, Tobias, why you are not welcomed here." His voice is monotone with a twist of being condescending.

"Does it look like I give a damn?" I retort. "Now shut up and sit."

He obeys, and I take the seat in front of him, Tobias stands behind me.

"Dauntless is coming to attack Abnegation, now. We need to evacuate everyone."

"Why should I listen to you faction traders, for all I know this is a trap!"

I can't contain myself any longer. Carefully, I get up, go around the table and use all of my body weight to push him hard into the wall.

"You will listen to us because we have never given you a reason not to trust us, you will do as we say because if you don't then the blood of the Abnegation will be on your hands."

"I will not be bossed around by a self centered factionless little girl."

I hear a click and turn around to see Tobias holding a gun trained on Marcus's head.

"Now listen up. I don't give a shit what you do or don't believe, nor do I care if you trust us, but disrespect Tris and I will blow your head into chunks."

His face grows pale, and I let him go.

"Now last chance, sit down."

A smirk marks his face on a takes a seat on a plain wooden stool.

"The Dauntless are coming to attack." I say it quick and simply.

"Why would they attack us? For all I know, you were sent here by Ev..."

Tobias stumbles back slightly, "You know about Evelyn he asks?"

"I've known since the day she 'died'. Why would I have told you, that selfish bitch didn't deserve your trust or loyalty."

While I might agree that she is kind of... bitchy, I would never say it out loud in public.

"Shut up." Tobias snaps, his muscles contracting into tight knots.

Something snaps inside me, he is defending Evelyn.