Chapter Three: Minny's Garden

Patton pulled into the parking lot of his new place of employment and sat for a moment, just taking it all in. He was quite a bit early, but he'd been nervous about it. At first glance yesterday, he'd thought it was just the small shop, but now that he was really looking, this place was MASSIVE. He hadn't realized how big an operation Logan was running, and just by himself?! The man must never sleep.

The garden center and shop faced the road, and the grounds at its entrance and running alongside the parking lot were beautifully landscaped. He could see the care and creativity put into each selection and placement of evergreens and ornamental trees, the mulched rises full of color from bulbs and perennials, the splashy annuals not being in season yet. In the back, the greenhouses stretched beyond, and there as a large pond and what appeared to be rows of trees even further back. He had no idea how big this property was, but the operation he was looking at was so much bigger than he'd taken it for.

After one look, he didn't just want this job, he needed it. Patton could feel the nerves and keen longing tying his belly in knots. He could really do something with this place. He could make his mark over the truly excellent foundation Logan Williams had built. He'd worried he wouldn't be fulfilled or challenged, but after seeing this? He blew out a long breath. He was a little worried now that he'd bitten off more than he could chew!

Straightening his spine, he got out of the car and walked to the door. It was already unlocked, and when he walked in he was struck again with just how incredibly attractive his new employer was. It really wasn't fair for any one man to be that gorgeous, it just wasn't. He offered Logan a sunny smile, walking forward to meet him halfway.

"Good morning, Logan! God, this place is incredible. I can't wait to get started." Logan offered one of his tiny smiles and a small tilt of his head in acknowledgment, offering him a handshake before turning away.

"Well, I suppose I should give you a quick tour before we get going for the day. Follow me." Logan walked them back out the front door, turning and skirting down the building. Patton happily trailed behind, looking around curiously.

"I didn't want the retail end of this near my house. Didn't want to see commerce out my front window." Logan pointed, and Patton could only faintly see the roofline of a house that wasn't visible from here. A wedge of natural woods shielded it from view. So, that was Logan's house! Good to know. They walked into the entrance to the garden center, and Patton could see the door that linked it to the flower shop out front.

"This section is open to the public year-round. We carry all the sidelines you'd expect, along with houseplants, books and other odds and ends." Two long, wide counters on either side of the door, Patton noted. Plenty of light. There were shelves stocked with soil additives, pesticides, plant foods and racks with seeds. More shelves held books and decorative pots. There were gorgeous displays with windchimes, garden plaques and other accessories. Logan quickly moved them through a wide opening, and here were the houseplants, from exotic to classic. There were more accessories here, too. Patton spied stepping stones, trellises, garden fountains and benches.

"I expect anyone on my staff to know a little bit about everything, and if you don't know the answer to a question, I expect you to ask. We're not big, compared to some of the wholesale nurseries and landscaping outfits further into suburbia. We're not priced like them, either. I specialize in offering the unusual along with the basic, and good customer service. I make house calls, usually for people who have difficulty with something they've purchased here or for those that want more casual, personal advice."

"Why the name? Anyone in particular it references?" Here Logan paused, pursing his lips a little and slipping one hand in his pocket while he surveyed the space.