Chapter Thirteen: Apologies, Fraud and Friendship

Logan waited until he knew Virgil would likely be on his break before hunting him up the next day. He knew Virgil was upset with him, and nobody could hold a grudge longer and hide better than his best friend. Logan glanced around the coffee shop, spying the man in question sitting at his favorite table in the back, sipping some more than likely highly over-caffeinated beverage. Logan quietly slipped into the chair opposite, watching Virgil stiffen.

"Something you needed?" Logan almost winced at the cool, irritated tone of voice. They were so much ALIKE. How many times had he heard that exact tone come out of his own voice when he was irritated?

"I know you're upset with me, Virgil."

"There's no point to me being upset."

"Yes, there is. You're angry with the way I handled things last night. Or, more accurately, with how I wouldn't let you handle them."

"Your choice." He jerked a shoulder, looking away. "And I'm not mad at you. Just disappointed is all." If he had grabbed a knife and stabbed it into Logan's heart, he'd have felt less pain, less shock.

"Virgil..."

"Did you have to be so fucking polite?! Couldn't you have given him the ass kicking he deserved right then and there, instead of brushing it off and taking it outside?"

"What good would-"

"I don't give a FUCK about what good it would do, Lo." Virgil's eyes met his, hot temper smoldering in them. "He deserved to have the shit kicked out of him, right then and there. You should have let me stand up for you. But it had to be your way, with me standing there doing NOTHING. After what he put you through. So what is the goddamn point?!"

Logan wanted to turn away, to take a moment to compose himself, but Virgil deserved this. His best friend had earned the right to see his heart flayed open, to see the emotions he so often hid away play openly on his face.

"There is no one in the world who can hurt me quite like you can, Virgil." That softened Virgil a little, cooled some of his temper.

"I'm not trying to hurt you."

"No, you're not. You wouldn't. That's how I know how angry you really are. And how I can see where it comes from...maybe I was wrong." He lifted a hand to run it through his hair, a rare show of frustration. "I don't know, but it's the only way I know how to handle things. I had to get him out of the house. I need you to understand that I HAD to get him out, before he smeared it all again. Before he could...just the thought of him being anywhere near Thomas...or Patton..." Virgil sat very still now, watching the helpless emotions crossing his friend's face. Regret and shame warred for dominance, and it killed him to see Logan look this way.

"I brought him into our lives, Virgil. I did that, and you didn't."

"That doesn't mean you're to blame, or that you have to handle everything by yourself! For fuck's sake, if you can't depend on me to help you, to stand up for you-"

"Oh my god, Virge! Here you are thinking I don't need you, when nothing could be further from the truth. You're my best friend, the brother I never had. You and Roman are the only family I have now. I don't know what the hell I'd do without you." Logan sighed and looked away, his shoulders slumping. "I don't want to fight with you over him. He's nothing but a bully."

"And I'm not your kid brother that you need to protect from bullies. It's my job to protect YOU, whether you want it or not. And whether you fucking need it or not." Logan let a small smile curve his lips at that.

"Well...I guess you told me."

"Goddamn right. Logan, if he comes to your door again, you won't stop me next time." Virgil held his gaze, his face deadly serious. Logan slowly nodded.