Chapter Fourteen: Christmas, Roses and Confessions

Logan put thoughts of fraud, and Jason Bryce, entirely out of his head. It was Christmas Day, and he had an enormous family get together to host. Virgil was already there, since he spent most Christmases with Logan, a tradition that dated back to the beginning of their friendship. They usually dressed in onesies (Virgil's was a black cat while Logan's was a unicorn), binge watched terrible holiday specials, ate junk food and enjoyed each other's company. Now that the two friends were dating the Sanders brothers, Logan had the entire family to accommodate for the holidays.

This time of year usually put him in a melancholy mood, but this Christmas Logan had a great deal to be happy about. He had amazing friends. He had a gorgeous, incredibly patient and kind boyfriend who also had the sweetest child he'd ever encountered. His business was thriving. The only thing missing from this whole wonderful scene was his mother.

There had been snow last night, just enough to give the town that beautiful greeting card look. And enough to force Logan outside to shovel and salt the walkways before everyone else arrived. Virgil was still sleeping, and probably wouldn't wake up for another few hours if he followed past precedent. Logan quickly finished shoveling the walkway out front and came back in, stomping the snow off his feet and pulling all of his outer layers off.

He was just heading to the kitchen to pull the fresh cinnamon rolls he'd been baking out of the oven, when he heard a car pull up. That would be the Sanders crew, a bit early, but not unwelcome. The distinct sound of Parker's joyful bark was shortly followed by Thomas and Valerie cheerfully singing "Jingle Bells" at the top of their lungs. Logan chuckled and shook his head, opening the door.

"MERRY CHRISTMAS, DOCTOR PLANT!!!" Thomas took the front steps two at a time, throwing himself into Logan's arms. He laughed out loud, swinging Thomas up into a hug while Parker scrabbled at his knees, yipping for attention.

"Merry Christmas, Thomas! Were you a good boy this year?"

"Dad says I was, and you should see all the presents we brought!" Logan glanced up and his eyes widened a little as he saw the stack of presents Patton was carrying. He couldn't even see Pat's face over all of them!

"Oh, Pat, let me help you!" He quickly put Thomas down and grabbed a few items off the stack, uncovering his boyfriend's face. Patton giggled, an adorable sound.

"Merry Christmas, Lo!" He gave Logan a quick kiss, and he could feel his cheeks pinking as he murmured a similar greeting.

"Merry Christmas, Poindexter! Where's my gorgeous boyfriend?" Roman called from behind him.

"Still sleeping, as per usual."

"Well, it would appear I need to wake Sleeping Beauty, then." Logan arched a brow at that, thinking back to the few times he'd ever tried to wake Virgil up before he was ready.

"By all means, Roman, it's your funeral." Roman scoffed at Logan's sardonic warning, making his way into the house and dumping his armful of gifts on the couch.

"Be right back!" He bounded up the stairs, and Logan shook his head and quietly directed Thomas towards the kitchen. He estimated there would be shouted obscenities in three...two...one...

"WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK, ROMAN?!" Virgil's indignant shout could clearly be heard, and although Thomas was far enough away to miss it, Patton's head whipped around in surprise. Logan shrugged and offered an apologetic smile.

"He never learns, does he?" Valerie's amused voice forced him to turn, receiving a warm hug in greeting.

"It would appear not. Merry Christmas, Valerie."

"Right back at you, Lo! You've met Michael, haven't you?" She stepped back, and Logan briskly shook hands with her fiancé, a quiet man with sandy hair and a stocky build.